The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Things ShowcaseSamples of surface effects on a product

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Samples of surface effects on a product

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 am

Here are a few sample images I put together for my website, highlighting how the surface a product is photographed on can affect the overall look of an image.
FlashBlk_01.jpg
Black Plexi/Perspex, unlit
This item was photographed on a piece of black cast acrylic sheet. The high gloss gives the surface a nice mirror like reflective property. The gray you see is actually my background being reflected on the surface of the acrylic (angle of incidence, angle of reflection).

FlashBlk_02.jpg
Black Plexi/Perspex, lit
Like the previous image, this one was photographed on the black acrylic. The only difference is that the backdrop has been lit to pure white. Because the
product blocks some of the light from the background, the reflection appears deeper.

FlashWht_001.jpg
White semi-gloss
This last images was shot on a white melamine tabletop. The semi-gloss nature of the pebbled surface gives the reflection more of the standard "drop shadow" effect.

The only ones I did not get a chance to do were the product on white acrylic and on a mirrored surface. I'll probably get to that tomorrow.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:04 am

And just for fun... here's a GIF of the flashlight spinning to demonstrate to clients I also do 360° product rotations.
Flashlight_360.gif
Flashlight_360.gif (1.35 MiB) Viewed 468 times

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:04 pm

A whole 'nother world than driving around the countryside in search of reasons to apply the brakes :) Thanks for a great demo, Duck!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Great stuff, Duck! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm

I think this looks awesome - do you use softbox also?

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for looking at these. I know compared to what most people here like to photograph this may seem dull and boring :-D but I love stuff like this.

I sent out a quote for a possible new client this morning. Hopefully they accept the quote. It's a tech firm right here in my home town (literally ten minutes from me) that's updating their website and will be looking at replacing almost all of their images. Crossing my fingers.

This is their current site; Enfield Tech

If it's a go we'll be starting with getting images of items that do not currently have an image. Then we'll work on their 'bad' images and miscellaneous images for the different sections of their site (i.e. lifestyle, BTS, staff, etc.)

Not a bad way to start off the new year after deciding to let go of my tattoo studio.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Products on White! Easy-peasy. Really! It should be a lock. Don't give away the store, though. I will always think lack of confidence in my own ability hamstrung me from the get-go. You have the chops, it's right in your portfolio. Break a leg! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:02 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:49 pm
Thanks for looking at these. I know compared to what most people here like to photograph this may seem dull and boring :-D but I love stuff like this.

I sent out a quote for a possible new client this morning. Hopefully they accept the quote. It's a tech firm right here in my home town (literally ten minutes from me) that's updating their website and will be looking at replacing almost all of their images. Crossing my fingers.

This is their current site; Enfield Tech

If it's a go we'll be starting with getting images of items that do not currently have an image. Then we'll work on their 'bad' images and miscellaneous images for the different sections of their site (i.e. lifestyle, BTS, staff, etc.)

Not a bad way to start off the new year after deciding to let go of my tattoo studio.
Hey, you enjoy it, you do it well, and you're making money at it! How many of the rest of us can say that? Not I!! The dam birds live upon the library wall without producing any revenue, so I'm in awe of what you're doing. I would imagine there is a lot of satisfaction, too, in setting out with a discreet object and giving it representative power. I'm sure their site will become more "alive" as your images pre-empt some older ones they have.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:22 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 am
Here are a few sample images I put together for my website, highlighting how the surface a product is photographed on can affect the overall look of an image.

FlashBlk_01.jpg
This item was photographed on a piece of black cast acrylic sheet. The high gloss gives the surface a nice mirror like reflective property. The gray you see is actually my background being reflected on the surface of the acrylic (angle of incidence, angle of reflection).

FlashBlk_02.jpg
Like the previous image, this one was photographed on the black acrylic. The only difference is that the backdrop has been lit to pure white. Because the
product blocks some of the light from the background, the reflection appears deeper.

FlashWht_001.jpg
This last images was shot on a white melamine tabletop. The semi-gloss nature of the pebbled surface gives the reflection more of the standard "drop shadow" effect.

The only ones I did not get a chance to do were the product on white acrylic and on a mirrored surface. I'll probably get to that tomorrow.
Folks, If you haven't done so, go to the Enfield website, click on products and then click on Cylinder Positioning Systems and watch the video about a balloon, a pig and a lightbulb. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:56 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:22 am
Folks, If you haven't done so, go to the Enfield website, click on products and then click on Cylinder Positioning Systems and watch the video about a balloon, a pig and a lightbulb. Matt

Oooh, you are so evil...

I laughed like an idiot with that pig.

Made my day. Thanks.