D700-2015061201-010.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by pop511 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:49 am

Ahh, yes, when film comes back I'll get my Minoltas going again.
ed davis

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:12 pm

rmalarz wrote:We've been together since 1954.
--Bob

When I switched to digital, I sold my Mamiya 7. Was I foolish? Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Matt, it's difficult for me to judge whether you were foolish or not. I still have every camera I've ever owned, and those my dad owned. I still purchase film in bulk and do my own developing. I really enjoy the entire process. It's the same with digital, I enjoy the, sometimes persnickety and meticulous, steps I take, but it's the final image that matters. The journey to that final image is always an enjoyable path.
--Bob

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Ed, when film comes back??? It's still here. I use quite a lot of it and never have problems obtaining more.
--Bob

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 pm

rmalarz wrote:We've been together since 1954.
--Bob

Bob, that is an absolutely exquisite picture of one of the most exquisite photographic machines ever crafted. Oskar Barnack was a genius and Ernst Leitz was too. I once saw a repairman open up a prewar Leica and show me the clockwork (no other way to describe it) inside.

I remember being shocked when after a burglary in my studio I switched to Canon T90's, to this day considered benchmark 35mm film cameras, but when one shutter went down I learned that there was no "repair," only replacement of the entire "$hutter module." The camera repair folks pointed out that very little inside a T90 was repairable in the traditional sense since they had virtually no wheels, gears. pinions, or springs. It was an eye-opener, expensive, and the camera had to be shipped to Canon as the local guys could do nothing with it.

I have so far not had to have a digital camera "repaired," but the sense I have is that if my beloved Sony RX-10 goes down it gets scrapped and totally replaced. That camera new was some $1,400!! I expect that some of the high-end DSLR's can be repaired to an extent, bad sensor replaced maybe, but then there is the rule of thumb that if it costs more than half the replacement to repair it's cheaper to replace. More electronics in the landfill?

A 1954 Leica M3 is still entirely usable and repairable provided there are still folks trained to repair it (but parts might have to be handcrafted). I find myself wondering what's become of the 5 MP 2004 Leica Digilux, selling at some $1.800 at the time and really kind of a high-end point and shoot. How many are still in use? How many are permanently down for whatever and unrepairable?

ON T'Other hand, while I have the greatest respect and admiration for folks like Bob who will continue to work in film, do their own processing and printing, I would simply never go back. I think digital is such a paradigm shift that it's nearly miraculous. I think digital is flat superior. As a retired professional I still cannot believe what I can do in digital that I'm confident would have been a dismal failure in film, especially color (think available mixed light indoors). But I also note that there seems a strong "retro" movement in many areas, photography included, with a few workers going as far back as tintype and wet collodion. But I'm the guy who just wants'a get the pitcher and imagine what, say, William Henry Jackson would have done for a point-and-shoot in the Yellowstone. :yay:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:28 am

Like a beautifully delicate black and white photo of a naked woman...wait, is that dust on her back? laf

I love this, composition, subject matter, processing, the story, everything. Well done, absolutely well done! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Thank you very much, St3v3. As always, your comments are most appreciated.
--Bob