"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Things ShowcaseLawn lions

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Lawn lions

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 pm

I guess this is a still life; this is about as still as these beasts would have to be for me to be able to shoot and keep my life. Taken in the local lawn/garden shop.
Lions (1 of 1).jpg
Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Re: Lawn lions

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 pm

That is elegant! That is a subject made for monochrome! Technically flawless, detail everywhere yet the background is dead black. I like the composition very much, where one lion seems to be nuzzling the other. Terrific! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 am

Many thanks Charles. You know your opinion matters a great deal to me. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby ErichBrunner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 am

Matt Quinn wrote:I guess this is a still life; this is about as still as these beasts would have to be for me to be able to shoot and keep my life. Taken in the local lawn/garden shop.Lions (1 of 1).jpg Matt

This is nice, Matt. I'm sometimes ambivalent about taking photos of statues. Seems as if you are really just documenting someone else's art. But you have taken great care here to your composition and that makes this photo more than just a documentation shot of a statue. I like it.
erich

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I guess this is a still life; this is about as still as these beasts would have to be for me to be able to shoot and keep my life. Taken in the local lawn/garden shop.Lions (1 of 1).jpg Matt

Nice, simply composed image that avoids the problems we usually see with photos of statues (intrusive backgrounds). Well taken and well processed for presentation.

Because of the angle in which they are placed, there is a converging point that means one lion will always be at a slight tilt. I might fiddle just a bit with tilting it slightly to the right and see if that makes it better or worse. I am a hopeless experimenter...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:45 pm

minniev wrote:

Nice, simply composed image that avoids the problems we usually see with photos of statues (intrusive backgrounds). Well taken and well processed for presentation.

Because of the angle in which they are placed, there is a converging point that means one lion will always be at a slight tilt. I might fiddle just a bit with tilting it slightly to the right and see if that makes it better or worse. I am a hopeless experimenter...

Minnie, Thank you. Something in the photo bothered me and I couldn't identify it, although in my mind I thought it should come down a tad on the right, but I didn't want to mess. After your message, I messed. Here 'tis. Matt
Lions 2 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:47 pm

ErichBrunner wrote:

This is nice, Matt. I'm sometimes ambivalent about taking photos of statues. Seems as if you are really just documenting someone else's art. But you have taken great care here to your composition and that makes this photo more than just a documentation shot of a statue. I like it.
erich

Thank you Erich. Noticed your new avatar. How is your hip, knee, ankle? Grandson is back home now; now I can rove with the Leica. More coming. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:... Taken in the local lawn/garden shop.Lions (1 of 1).jpg Matt

I've often thought to do the same and appreciate the inspiration! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 am

You're welcome, Steve. Post it when you do. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 am

Matt Quinn wrote:You're welcome, Steve. Post it when you do. Matt

Winter
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Things Showcase”