"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcasePlated food

Commercial product shots or artistic still life all fit into this category.
- Appliances, beauty products, household items, centerpieces, detail shots, etc.
Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Plated food

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 pm

This is a brave step into commercial food photography. I want to branch my business and offer "real food" photography for restaurants photographing their food in lieu of the camera phone shots being posted now.
SGW_0688A.jpg
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Plated food

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 pm

You are probably looking for feedback on lighting, composition and such. I have zero experience there, so can I offer a consumer's response? A thoroughly unappetizing looking meal with all the same blah colors. Tell them they need broccoli and radishes as color and texture contrasts :D (The red napkin is super, as is the crusty looking dinner roll)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 pm

You've posted this in the showcase so I'm assuming you don't want critique. Please let us know if you want feedback and suggestions and we'll be happy to share. Some of us will of course be better equipped in this genre than others. We don't want to offer what you don't want to hear, but we would like to be helpful if specific feedback is something you're interested in. We want to give you what you want/need!

I admire your courage in stepping off into a new endeavor.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:10 am

Steven G Webb wrote:This is a brave step into commercial food photography. I want to branch my business and offer "real food" photography for restaurants photographing their food in lieu of the camera phone shots being posted now.

I applaud you for your step in a new direction. It can be quite an adventure but always rewarding learning something new. Congrats! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 am

minniev wrote:You've posted this in the showcase so I'm assuming you don't want critique. Please let us know if you want feedback and suggestions and we'll be happy to share. Some of us will of course be better equipped in this genre than others. We don't want to offer what you don't want to hear, but we would like to be helpful if specific feedback is something you're interested in. We want to give you what you want/need!

I admire your courage in stepping off into a new endeavor.

Thank you. I did put this one in the showcase to avoid being gutted and cut for bait. Just sort of a "Hey, I'm going a new direction" post. I'm not sure that my skill yet warrants a critique. I will be stepping up to the plate (no pun intended) hopefully in the near future for critiques. I've just dipped my toe into what I've found to be a huge ocean of unfamiliar waters.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 am

St3v3M wrote:
Steven G Webb wrote:This is a brave step into commercial food photography. I want to branch my business and offer "real food" photography for restaurants photographing their food in lieu of the camera phone shots being posted now.

I applaud you for your step in a new direction. It can be quite an adventure but always rewarding learning something new. Congrats! S-

I can't decide if this is scarier or must more frustrating. I love a challenge but I hate unfamiliarity. I know that I have all the resources every other photographer needs do accomplish image capture. I call photography my great equalizer. I'm not the strongest, not the fastest nor the best looking and there are things that limit me from being those things. But there is nothing external to prevent me from being able to take excellent photographs. I bang my head often because I don't create them.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 am

Steven G Webb wrote:I can't decide if this is scarier or must more frustrating. I love a challenge but I hate unfamiliarity. I know that I have all the resources every other photographer needs do accomplish image capture. I call photography my great equalizer. I'm not the strongest, not the fastest nor the best looking and there are things that limit me from being those things. But there is nothing external to prevent me from being able to take excellent photographs. I bang my head often because I don't create them.

Look for the story and the image will follow! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Commercial & Still Life”