"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Things ShowcasePears, peppers and blueberries

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Pears, peppers and blueberries

Post by Duck » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:46 am

I have been working with a young stylist trainee, Ari, looking to start working on her portfolio. I had her at the studio working on getting some shots set up. Here is the 'fruit of her labor' to use the pun.

Unitas_Photography-Ari01.jpg
Blueberries
Unitas_Photography-Ari01.jpg (168.34 KiB) Viewed 737 times

Unitas_Photography-Ari02.jpg
Peppers
Unitas_Photography-Ari02.jpg (115.52 KiB) Viewed 737 times

Unitas_Photography-Ari03.jpg
Pears
Unitas_Photography-Ari03.jpg (106.2 KiB) Viewed 737 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 am

Duck wrote:I have been working with a young stylist trainee, Ari, looking to start working on her portfolio. I had her at the studio working on getting some shots set up. Here is the 'fruit of her labor' to use the pun.

I'm intrigued by the colors in the first and think it could be cropped several ways changing the mood with each.
- And I know this isn't in critique so in the spirit of helping I would look at the 'flash' on the blueberry in the spoon and the apparent reflection.

The piece of wood in the second is my favorite, but I'm of the trees so it's a given. I'm also intrigued by that deep purple. Neat!
- I'm coming to terms with the purple cauliflower being out of focus and think either a little more or a little less.

The third is my favorite and seems a far departure from the original two. This feels right and I suspect is her true style.

You're amazing for doing this for her! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:45 am

St3v3M wrote:I'm intrigued by the colors in the first and think it could be cropped several ways changing the mood with each.
- And I know this isn't in critique so in the spirit of helping I would look at the 'flash' on the blueberry in the spoon and the apparent reflection.

The piece of wood in the second is my favorite, but I'm of the trees so it's a given. I'm also intrigued by that deep purple. Neat!
- I'm coming to terms with the purple cauliflower being out of focus and think either a little more or a little less.

The third is my favorite and seems a far departure from the original two. This feels right and I suspect is her true style.

You're amazing for doing this for her! S-

Thanks for the feedback Steve. There were two reason I did not want to place these images in the critique section; first, any critique would be fairly useless as she is not part of the community (yet). Second, as I was just the trigger guy any critique is irrelevant to me (plus I already saw what you mentioned.) Although I did place it in my own portfolio as an ego boost for her, this image will probably eventually cycle through to social media status.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:49 am

Duck wrote:Thanks for the feedback Steve. There were two reason I did not want to place these images in the critique section; first, any critique would be fairly useless as she is not part of the community (yet). Second, as I was just the trigger guy any critique is irrelevant to me (plus I already saw what you mentioned.) Although I did place it in my own portfolio as an ego boost for her, this image will probably eventually cycle through to social media status.

I was unsure too but thought I'd help if I could. I really like that last one! S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:02 am

St3v3M wrote:I was unsure too but thought I'd help if I could. I really like that last one! S-

I do too. It's not my usual processing but as the image itself was rather simple I felt a little umph would help. Ari had a hard time with that last composition as she felt it was too simple. She thought it needed 'more'.

The plan was to replicate a shot she found online (the blueberries) to see if we could replicate it. Here is the original...

blues-food-photography-styling.jpg
blues-food-photography-styling.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 713 times

She went a step further by adding the raspberries. She also played with it by adding a small bowl with additional fruit in the corner but I felt it was too much. She has that copy for herself. As for the softness of the original... as we were editing she preferred the sharper version better so that is what I went with.

The second shot was a challenge I gave her to create a composition on her own. She used some of the props in my studio and arranged the veggies herself. I just took the shot.

The last was originally also going to replicate an image with the pears sitting in a crumpled paper bag. We forgot to grab some paper bags so I had her improvise. She kept wanting to add more as she felt it was too boring with just the fruit on the pedestal. I challenged her to keep an open mind as I saw the processing before I even took the shot. She ended up seeing the potential. All part of the learning process.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:12 am

Duck wrote:I do too. It's not my usual processing but as the image itself was rather simple I felt a little umph would help. Ari had a hard time with that last composition as she felt it was too simple. She thought it needed 'more'.

The plan was to replicate a shot she found online (the blueberries) to see if we could replicate it. Here is the original...

blues-food-photography-styling.jpg
She went a step further by adding the raspberries. She also played with it by adding a small bowl with additional fruit in the corner but I felt it was too much. She has that copy for herself. As for the softness of the original... as we were editing she preferred the sharper version better so that is what I went with.

The second shot was a challenge I gave her to create a composition on her own. She used some of the props in my studio and arranged the veggies herself. I just took the shot.

The last was originally also going to replicate an image with the pears sitting in a crumpled paper bag. We forgot to grab some paper bags so I had her improvise. She kept wanting to add more as she felt it was too boring with just the fruit on the pedestal. I challenged her to keep an open mind as I saw the processing before I even took the shot. She ended up seeing the potential. All part of the learning process.

I can couch-critique all day long pointing out the little things that might help, but I can't teach heart. You either love this or you don't and when you do it shows!

Raspberries were an amazing touch, that combination of the red and the blue with the simpleness of the composition. I wondered too if she rotated and cropped hers.

What I like most about the pears, other than there are three, is the ying and yang of the two, with the third adding balance. Well done!

Thank you for adding this. In a way I feel bad saying anything, but mostly I feel like I know her now and understand her work. Thank you for that! S-

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:25 pm

I like very much the image she is trying to replicate. Adding the red is awesome. I like the composition of the original better, and she needs to tame the light (perhaps) a little. Looks to me like Ari has talent and gumption and is a blast to work with. She is willing to take chances with her composition (cutting to the right so close to the spoon) and she takes an idea and runs with it as she sees fit. Steve said it nicely -- she has Heart!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks for the comments folks. Yes, she is showing she has her heart in it but, more importantly, she is showing a thirst to learn. That will take her far.
As for the lighting... that was my attempt to replicate a PS technique in a practical way. I just didn't have the correct light fixture for it. I actually used a Light Blaster to make a small diameter spot. Unfortunately I could not soften it enough. I have since designed and ordered a set of varying size and softness spot gobos for it. They should be coming in the mail this coming week.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:16 am

Duck wrote:Thanks for the comments folks. Yes, she is showing she has her heart in it but, more importantly, she is showing a thirst to learn. That will take her far.
As for the lighting... that was my attempt to replicate a PS technique in a practical way. I just didn't have the correct light fixture for it. I actually used a Light Blaster to make a small diameter spot. Unfortunately I could not soften it enough. I have since designed and ordered a set of varying size and softness spot gobos for it. They should be coming in the mail this coming week.

We'll be excited to see her progress! S-

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:45 pm

It is a pleasure to see the work of a young artist. She's doing well, especially in what she's doing with color and shape. Managing light is the hardest thing we do IMHO (whether natural or artificial, studio or out in nature). I admire her determination, and look forward to seeing her participate here herself if she can be so persuaded. We would all be better artists if challenged more by young folks as they launch on their journeys. I'd so love to see pM have a strong young presence.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones