Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Things Showcasethe Comfort of a “Tamed Flame”

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
uuglypher
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

the Comfort of a “Tamed Flame”

Post by uuglypher »

0CEAC946-2824-4546-9DE5-417E2B14C078.jpeg
the Comfort of a “Tamed Flame”

Thoughts during a scheduled pre-dawn “rolling power blackout”

My thoughts are about -and by means of- the 70% of my brain’s neural synapses that are involved, directly of indirectly, with vision. They are occupying my attention at 4:30 am in the pre-dawn blackness of this South Dakota winter’s morning. And there occurs to me an almost palpable ancestral connection with my forbearers almost four million generations removed as I relax in the dim, comforting glow of a candle - a “tamed flame”. It is somehow fascinatingly comforting to realize that all the neural connections from my retinas to my brain’s cortical visual center and then to the various regions allowing perceptions and emotions associated with awareness of the candle’s glow are via the same basic neural pathways by which my evolutionarily distant direct ancestors enjoyed the comfort of a “tamed flame” that followed upon their epochal taming of fire.

Just thought it worthy of mention....

Imaged with iPhone12ProMax

Dave

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie »

just something about fire..some instinct connecting a deep down emotion....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke »

fire - the light yes, and the warmth. Controlled, but not tame, ready to bite you for the smallest mistake. We take comfort in our dominion over all, but the edges are fraying and darkness creeps in.

uuglypher
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by uuglypher »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:02 am
just something about fire..some instinct connecting a deep down emotion....
You got it...just as hoped.
Dave

uuglypher
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by uuglypher »

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:24 am
fire - the light yes, and the warmth. Controlled, but not tame, ready to bite you for the smallest mistake. We take comfort in our dominion over all, but the edges are fraying and darkness creeps in.
The concise essence!
Gratifying to the max!
Your last ...” but the edges are fraying....” puts me in mind as evocative of some line or phrase by Garcia Marqués...or Robert Frost...or Basho...or Kerouac ... but it’s pure Francke!!!
Much appreciated, Piet!
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev »

There's something primal about a fire, especially a small quiet fire in the dark of winter. We had a week of fire companionship this week. Never in my lifetime has there been a full week of being housebound with ice and snow. We occasionally get a significant snowfall but the roads quickly melt and travel resumes in a couple of days. This time the roads were impassable for a full week, only opening up late yesterday. We had power but everyone was asked to keep thermostats as low as possible to keep from going into blackouts like Texas, so much of our time was devoted to "tending" the fire, splitting wood, etc. That orange flame was very comforting. So yeah, your image resonates!!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones