Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Things ShowcaseFood for thought, time for thinking

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Food for thought, time for thinking

Post by uuglypher »

Food for thought- time for thinking

Social isolation provides food for thought...and time for thinking.

This is about my old habit of “rope twisting” a (most often) paper napkin- or paper towel/ or fabric or leather fragment that has served its purpose or is excess scrap.

The the act and the resulting small sculpture elicits metaphors, similes,
and previously unconsidered perspectives and misunderstood
inter-relationships in abundance.

This often resented “excess” of time associated with necessary social
isolation many of us are experiencing is oft undervalued as time for meaningful, un-pressured
productive thought.

I have found it remarkable how often some conundrum of life has been
re-considered, viewed in a novel way, and resolved while quietly
“rope twisting”and I have to wonder how many other “eccentric habits”
that we all have may serve a similar purpose.

An example is the recent recurrent thought that the “fascies” so often
used as a symbol of the strength in Union of “e pluribus unum” is actually
inappropriate; if and when the binding straps snap the independent shafts fall apart.
However, with mutually accepted flexibility of compromise and conciliation those divided strands can, through the metaphor of twisted rope, retain their basic identifying characteristics while joining in the inextricable entwinement of our national union.

Untold thousands of these simple sculptural diversionary encouragements to thoughtful mentation are in the landfills of seven States.

But... basically...they are merely evidence of an eccentric habit!

..just sayin’...there it was. on the arm of my chair after a snack... my iPhone was handy... and... well... you know !

... and so it goes..,

Stay well, wear masks, and practice appropriate separation.
Let’s care for each other!

Dave
15D1EE4F-3698-4203-ADEE-99E26F323CB8.jpeg
15D1EE4F-3698-4203-ADEE-99E26F323CB8.jpeg (79.43 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:49 pm
Food for thought- time for thinking

Social isolation provides food for thought...and time for thinking.

This is about my old habit of “rope twisting” a (most often) paper napkin- or paper towel/ or fabric or leather fragment that has served its purpose or is excess scrap.

The the act and the resulting small sculpture elicits metaphors, similes,
and previously unconsidered perspectives and misunderstood
inter-relationships in abundance.

This often resented “excess” of time associated with necessary social
isolation many of us are experiencing is oft undervalued as time for meaningful, un-pressured
productive thought.

I have found it remarkable how often some conundrum of life has been
re-considered, viewed in a novel way, and resolved while quietly
“rope twisting”and I have to wonder how many other “eccentric habits”
that we all have may serve a similar purpose.

An example is the recent recurrent thought that the “fascies” so often
used as a symbol of the strength in Union of “e pluribus unum” is actually
inappropriate; if and when the binding straps snap the independent shafts fall apart.
However, with mutually accepted flexibility of compromise and conciliation those divided strands can, through the metaphor of twisted rope, retain their basic identifying characteristics while joining in the inextricable entwinement of our national union.

Untold thousands of these simple sculptural diversionary encouragements to thoughtful mentation are in the landfills of seven States.

But... basically...they are merely evidence of an eccentric habit!

..just sayin’...there it was. on the arm of my chair after a snack... my iPhone was handy... and... well... you know !

... and so it goes..,

Stay well, wear masks, and practice appropriate separation.
Let’s care for each other!

Dave15D1EE4F-3698-4203-ADEE-99E26F323CB8.jpeg
Rope seashell!

All the creative activities we have embarked on during these strange and isolated times can be enrichments we come to treasure at some point. I've read, photographed, edited, printed, and written things I would never have done. I miss traveling, I grieve for not being with my family as much as I usually am. Will we miss the quiet times of contemplation and creativity once we regain our "regular lives"? I don't know.

I told my son his kids will probably not recall the hardships of restricted travel and shopping from the pandemic, but they may remember there was a time when they were home every weekend, mommy and daddy were always there, and they played family soccer games, board games, had family movie and game nights, and there wasn't much else going on - no scouts, no organized sports, no birthday parties, no sleepovers. The kids have taken over the dining room for their homework and art area, and their creative output has multiplied exponentially. And what did they ask for this Christmas? Not toys so much as games, books, art supplies.

Not every impact of the pandemic is entirely negative. Thus is life.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke »

it is good to use your hands, to touch and turn and twist until things are just right.