Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

Things ShowcaseDon Julio monolith

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Don Julio monolith

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Unitas_Photography-Don_Julio.jpg
Don Julio
Another portfolio piece.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:20 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:18 pm
[...]But of course you know I know nothing about product photography so you shouldn’t listen to me.

Maybe not, but you know what you like, and that's what matters. Remember, responding to an image is first based on emotion; what emotion do you feel from your first impression (Otherwise known as, "judging a book by its cover.") We all do this and is the basis for a lot of our personal decision making.

As for qualifying an image, you also have enough photographic knowledge to make (at the very least) a subjective observation based on quality, lighting, post processing, etc. That said, a gentle slap on the hand for thinking you, "know nothing about product photography" because I feel that general photographic knowledge is not theme specific. Give yourself more credit. :love:

I also understand this is not in the critique forum so consideration for that aspect has also been noted. I do thank you for looking and commenting.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm

If anyone is interested in the behind the scene of this shot, here is the layout.
Don Julio BTS 1.jpg
Don Julio BTS 2.jpg
Because of the low key nature of this shot and the reflective nature of the bottle, this shot was taken in a darkened studio. Don't let the brightness of the BTS shot fool you. I have the ability to turn off various parts of my overhead lights (so glad I did this) rendering the area around the bottle in darkness while still having some light to work with. Because of that, I was able to use lower power settings on my lights (note the 1/64th power on the speedlight.)

If you look carefully, you will see that there are no lights directly hitting the bottle. The snooted flash on camera right is hitting the bounce cards on camera left which is being reflected in the glass. The speedlight on camera left is hitting the bounce cards on camera right also reflecting off the glass. The background light is, obviously, hitting the background causing that spot carefully placed behind the bottle.

I have a flag (black card camera left) blocking the light of the speedlight from reflecting off the glass. Also, if you notice the black card with the lens cutout in front of the camera... that is a two sided card. The other side is actually white, allowing the front of the label to be lit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. - Enjoy.

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm

way above my pay grade...interesting Duck, thanks for sharing that..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 am

very cool to see the setup and explanation - very, very cool.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:49 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm
If anyone is interested in the behind the scene of this shot, here is the layout.

Don Julio BTS 1.jpg

Don Julio BTS 2.jpg

Because of the low key nature of this shot and the reflective nature of the bottle, this shot was taken in a darkened studio. Don't let the brightness of the BTS shot fool you. I have the ability to turn off various parts of my overhead lights (so glad I did this) rendering the area around the bottle in darkness while still having some light to work with. Because of that, I was able to use lower power settings on my lights (note the 1/64th power on the speedlight.)

If you look carefully, you will see that there are no lights directly hitting the bottle. The snooted flash on camera right is hitting the bounce cards on camera left which is being reflected in the glass. The speedlight on camera left is hitting the bounce cards on camera right also reflecting off the glass. The background light is, obviously, hitting the background causing that spot carefully placed behind the bottle.

I have a flag (black card camera left) blocking the light of the speedlight from reflecting off the glass. Also, if you notice the black card with the lens cutout in front of the camera... that is a two sided card. The other side is actually white, allowing the front of the label to be lit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. - Enjoy.
Yikes, it's Duck's Scary Studio! In all seriousness, I so admire your technical perfection. it looks like magic but I know it is the result of so much precise work. We take the advertising shots we see in magazines and brochures so for granted, without having a clue what all went into making them. Thanks for sharing your impressive set up.

If you really think about it, it's amazing that we so diverse yet bound together by the little device we share: the camera. If you looked at all our images, we are so different in our art, if we are willing to call it that. But yet the same.

As Matt's son said in his heartbreaking eulogy: we are the record-keepers.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for looking, folks. I appreciate it.
Good to hear the BTS shots are useful. :)

Minnie, you are so right. It still amazes me how this one device (the camera) can straddle so many disciplines, from the artist to the scientist. Each has their use and each has their own philosophies and methodologies but the core system is the same. It really becomes more obvious when we group together and see the different approaches to solutions. That's one of the reasons I enjoy meetups. I can talk to someone with a purely artistic approach then turn around and get into a purely technical discussion with someone else. Of course, this can sometimes lead to some pretty heated debates. :D