"You Are The Difference!"

Things ShowcaseRusty Sculpture at Homestead National Monument, Beatrice, Nebraska

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Rusty Sculpture at Homestead National Monument, Beatrice, Nebraska

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm

I wondered if this should rather be in abstract since it is. Someone cobbled this together out of farm implements. I love stuff like this.

Farm Implements Sculpture
by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Establishing shot; shovels and augers and scythes oh my...
Farm Implements Sculpture
Inevitable closeup; at least 3 different kinds of bobwire visible...
Barbed Wire ---Farm Implements Sculpture
Even more inevitable tight shot. There were at least 300 slightly different patents for barbed wire in the late 19th - early 20th centuries. The above is just one such. I was pretty happy with this shot overall. I'm loving how I can better control DOF and bokeh with it. This was made at ƒ/8.0, 50.0 mm, 1/80 sec ISO 250 (Sony A6000, kit 16-50 mm, handheld)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Handheld azt 1/80 sec? One cool dude. I wobble at 1/125. I have a few farm-equipment photos and will search and post for your delectation, Chuck, if I can find them. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu May 17, 2018 12:35 am

Nice series of whole scene in context, then closer then closest. I love photographing rusty stuff.

I recently watched a video where the photographer made textures and frames from photos of that same kind of wire.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Handheld azt 1/80 sec? One cool dude. I wobble at 1/125. I have a few farm-equipment photos and will search and post for your delectation, Chuck, if I can find them. Matt
Chuck, As promised. Left to rust by the side of the road. I presume the spring held the seat. Matt

_DSC6977-Edit.jpg
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Thanks Matt. I have a couple of tricks I use. I mash the camera into my face with my elbows into my ribs, at least in a case like this where I was standing fully erect. I keep my thumb on the baseplate of the camera so it is opposing my trigger finger; that hopefully minimizes jerking the shot. Shooting vertically I often hold the camera with the shutter button down so I can trip with my thumb while opposing with the rest of my hand. I can't always do that but being able to squeeze and to dig my elbows into my ribs helps. I take a pretty deep breath, let out about half of it (old shooter's trick learned in the army) and trip the shutter. Often I will have the burst mode in its lowest speed and make two, the second for insurance. I would not have done that in film but I find sometimes the insurance shot is the sharper one. I also rely a lot on the vibration reduction except when on a tripod. :|
minniev wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:35 am
Nice series of whole scene in context, then closer then closest. I love photographing rusty stuff.

I recently watched a video where the photographer made textures and frames from photos of that same kind of wire.
Thanks Min. I always have mixed feeling about bobwire. I suspect it's because of its many less benign uses. (N)
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 am

Chuck, As promised. Left to rust by the side of the road. I presume the spring held the seat. Matt
Boy that's a sadly rusted wreck. Left to it, though, eventually it will just be a smear of iron oxide in the soil. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Chuck, do you or Matt wanta start a Share thread for Rusted stuff? I think it would be fun.. No critique, as such, just interaction and sharing. I think it would go under Open Challenges.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 am

minniev wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 pm
Chuck, do you or Matt wanta start a Share thread for Rusted stuff? I think it would be fun.. No critique, as such, just interaction and sharing. I think it would go under Open Challenges.
Interesting suggestion, Minnie. Chuck, do you have many? I'll have to check or go out with the camera, but, in my sun-sensitive condition, I doubt I will find much at night. I will scan my archives but don't have "rusted stuff' as a keyword. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm
I wondered if this should rather be in abstract since it is. Someone cobbled this together out of farm implements. I love stuff like this.
What an amazing imagination. These are wonderful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 am
What an amazing imagination. These are wonderful! S-
Thank you, Steve. :thanks: