"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Things ShowcaseStrings

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Strings

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 pm

davechinn wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:While the bride sought help in a knit store, I walked into a violin sales and repair shop. The owner allowed me into the display room for some photos; she also is an amateur photographer and so welcomed me. MattStrings (1 of 2).jpgStrings (2 of 2).jpg

Matt, both images are exceptionally well composed, but the second one is the keeper for sure. Nicely done !!!
Dave

Thanks Dave. I am surprised by peoples' positive reaction to these posts of the strings. I was not able to compose by moving stuff around, so had to go with what was where it was. I may post something later today from the first shoot, where one of the violins was out of focus that I wanted to serve as the main point in the image because it was alone at the end of the row that prompted me to go back for a second try, but the owner had hung more there by my second visit and I didn't want to touch anything or bother her. So I took what I could. All of this had made me stop and reflect; no conclusions yet. Thanks again. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:40 am

Love the second one! I tried the magic eyes technique on it, which did give a sort of 3D effect.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby PietFrancke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:44 pm

I like these shots very much! I see lovely shapes in the first and the small to large repetition pattern is awesome too. Make some prints and give them to your new friend, and considered also bringing a macro lens for small DOF shots of the strings and wood grains. You have found gold mine of fun and potential here, I can think of no finer subject.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Love the second one! I tried the magic eyes technique on it, which did give a sort of 3D effect.

Thank you, Martha. I am surprised by the very positive reaction to this photo. Learning. My wife likes it in sepia, a real compliment since she rarely likes any of my photos other than of the grandchildren. Thanks for the rep vote. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I like these shots very much! I see lovely shapes in the first and the small to large repetition pattern is awesome too. Make some prints and give them to your new friend, and considered also bringing a macro lens for small DOF shots of the strings and wood grains. You have found gold mine of fun and potential here, I can think of no finer subject.

Thank you, Piet. I am much tempted to return; your encouraggement may win the day. I have a macro lens for my Nikon. Duck is also interested in my exploring. I don't want to be a nuisance, so some photos may charm the chance. I also am unwilling to or afraid of touching the instruments and don't want to trouble her. I'll post whatever develops, if anything. Thanks for your comments. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 am

Matt Quinn wrote:While the bride sought help in a knit store, I walked into a violin sales and repair shop. The owner allowed me into the display room for some photos; she also is an amateur photographer and so welcomed me. Matt

I really like the repeating pattern of the second and the way the first is straight on and the rest come more into focus. Wonderful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:16 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:While the bride sought help in a knit store, I walked into a violin sales and repair shop. The owner allowed me into the display room for some photos; she also is an amateur photographer and so welcomed me. Matt

I really like the repeating pattern of the second and the way the first is straight on and the rest come more into focus. Wonderful! S-

Many thanks Steve. More to come when I can get to them Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
St3v3M wrote:

Many thanks Steve. More to come when I can get to them Matt

A few more images in the Strings series. I have also posted the first, 3:43 PM, in my Project 52.

3-43 pm (1 of 1).jpg
Strings, #2 (1 of 4).jpg
Strings, #2 (2 of 4).jpg
Strings, #2 (3 of 4).jpg
Strings, #2 (4 of 4).jpg
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 pm

3 and 4 for me Matt....

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Psjunkie wrote:3 and 4 for me Matt....

Thanks Frank. Matt
Matt Quinn

Return to “Things Showcase”