“If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on.” ―Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerCascade

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Bob Yankle
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Cascade

Postby Bob Yankle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:01 am

I suspect I will be spending a lot of time in this particular forum as I have always enjoyed my journeys to the Dark Side. As a young boy I used to draw with pen and ink, so it seems like a natural progression.
Attachments
Monochrome_WhiteCascade_fotoblur.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Cascade

Postby Psjunkie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Posting in this section you must be wanting critique which I'm not qualified to do so hope you won't mind just my opinions. I comment on what I notice viewing an image and sometimes pixel peep to find out what was catching my eye at NVD...I mention these things to try and be helpful not critical, I overlook a lot of things in my own stuff, I leave it to you to take what you find useful and discard what is not from my comments...you are the only one that knows what your after. I feel, not mentioning things noticed is a bit of a dis-service to the poster. Not that my opinions carry any weight anyway Bob....

and finally to the image..Nicely done...A couple of things....I feel some tension due to the tightness at the top and would like to see the three blurry blobs around buds in the back gone. Good tone in this one Bob.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 am

My only 'problem' with this is the lighter than expected background against the striking white flower. It's not that it's bad, but more that it distracts.

I hope that helps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I love it exactly as is. I would hope, had I made it, I'd make it look like this. (OK) (Shows ya how subjective this all is...)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby Bob Yankle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:45 pm

St3v3M wrote:My only 'problem' with this is the lighter than expected background against the striking white flower. It's not that it's bad, but more that it distracts.

I hope that helps! S-
Thanks for helping understand your point of view Steve. I suspect my "distraction" tolerance level is pretty high, because I don't necessarily see distracting elements as others see them. I have often felt I take a "wholelistic (sic)" approach. often including elements that were present at the time the image was taken. In this case, the background lent a bit of depth to the image, one which I embraced.

In a lot of my processing, I isolate the main subject completely, place it in its own layer, then work on a textured background layer copy separately. But lately, I find myself more and more turning down the opacity on the background copy layer to blend in a bit of the original background (in photoshop, the original image).

This is not to say I don't erase or clone out elements in my images. I just don't do it as heavily as some other folks might.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:Thanks for helping understand your point of view Steve. I suspect my "distraction" tolerance level is pretty high, because I don't necessarily see distracting elements as others see them. I have often felt I take a "wholelistic (sic)" approach. often including elements that were present at the time the image was taken. In this case, the background lent a bit of depth to the image, one which I embraced.

In a lot of my processing, I isolate the main subject completely, place it in its own layer, then work on a textured background layer copy separately. But lately, I find myself more and more turning down the opacity on the background copy layer to blend in a bit of the original background (in photoshop, the original image).

This is not to say I don't erase or clone out elements in my images. I just don't do it as heavily as some other folks might.

I used to be more the purist than I am now so I completely understand about leaving it as it as. I appreciate that, and as an artist I expect the image to be yours through and through with all the makes you you, but I also wonder though if sometimes we aren't too invested in our images to see it from the audience point of view? I struggle with this at times trying to find the boundary between what I like and what the rest of the world wants too. Sometimes they intersect, sometimes it's me against the world, but ultimately it needs to tell the story I intended otherwise why make it. Thank you again and thank you for posting here! S-

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby Bob Yankle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm

St3v3M wrote: I used to be more the purist than I am now so I completely understand about leaving it as it as. I appreciate that, and as an artist I expect the image to be yours through and through with all the makes you you, but I also wonder though if sometimes we aren't too invested in our images to see it from the audience point of view? I struggle with this at times trying to find the boundary between what I like and what the rest of the world wants too. Sometimes they intersect, sometimes it's me against the world, but ultimately it needs to tell the story I intended otherwise why make it. Thank you again and thank you for posting here! S-

Thanks for the well-reasoned and patient response Steve. I DO listen to folks who comment on my images, and there have actually been cases where I acted upon their suggestions, albeit in other forums (but some of the same people). It's the whole reason I submit some of my images to the Critics Corner ...... because I respect all the photographers here who make the suggestions. I appreciate that folks realize all of this is fairly subjective ...... there are rooms for lots of preferences. I think someone here said something to the effect "Take what you need and leave the rest.", and I intend to that judiciously. In other words, I will carefully consider ALL suggestions. I just may not act on all of them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:15 am

Bob Yankle wrote:Thanks for the well-reasoned and patient response Steve. I DO listen to folks who comment on my images, and there have actually been cases where I acted upon their suggestions, albeit in other forums (but some of the same people). It's the whole reason I submit some of my images to the Critics Corner ...... because I respect all the photographers here who make the suggestions. I appreciate that folks realize all of this is fairly subjective ...... there are rooms for lots of preferences. I think someone here said something to the effect "Take what you need and leave the rest.", and I intend to that judiciously. In other words, I will carefully consider ALL suggestions. I just may not act on all of them.

We have an amazing family here and we're happy to have you join us! S-

Return to “Black & White”