“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerDunes: Isle of Harris

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Dunes: Isle of Harris

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 pm

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:... Tell me how this is, and what you suggest.

You know I love your images and am jealous you got to meet Graham, but I felt like I was looking through dirty glass and thought I'd see what I could do.

I was curious what Picasa's I'm Feeling Lucky would do to it, but ended up choosing Auto Contrast. So step one is more contrast. I wanted more whites though so I thought I'd put it through Lightroom and see what I could do there. Exposure +0.25, Whites -100, Blacks +100, and the really important one Clarity +100.

Here's the interesting thing, I like the change, but I'm still not sure I if I like yours better. What do you think? S-

I like your lighter/brighter version. My first version was much darker and more ominous than the version I posted. But: I processed it while very sick. I brightened it some when I looked at it again, and now I like your even brighter version. It was a gloomy day with impressive cloud cover, but I do think my own mood while editing had something to do with how I perceived it. Which is pretty interesting to think about.

And yes, hanging out with Graham was more fun than I can even describe.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Dunes: Isle of Harris

Postby St3v3M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:17 am

minniev wrote:I like your lighter/brighter version. My first version was much darker and more ominous than the version I posted. But: I processed it while very sick. I brightened it some when I looked at it again, and now I like your even brighter version. It was a gloomy day with impressive cloud cover, but I do think my own mood while editing had something to do with how I perceived it. Which is pretty interesting to think about.

And yes, hanging out with Graham was more fun than I can even describe.

It's amazing how much our personalities affect the way we see the world! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Black & White”