“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerSeeing in Sixes

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Seeing in Sixes

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 am

Lenswork Magazine conducts an annual competition, "Seeing in Sixes," which limits submissions to six photos on a theme, subject or idea. It's like a photo haiku. The editors recommend an explanatory essay. I submitted "The Soul of a Barn," but it didn't make the cut. Dave (Uuglypher) made helpful suggestions about the original photos when I asked for help; I appreciate his generosit. Here is the essay. I will post the photos, two at a time because I can't post all six at once. Comments welcome.

Seeing in Sixes:The Soul of a Barn

Old buildings enchant me.

The Mountjoy Barn, built pre-1798, originally sat on a slave farm in Ellicott City, Maryland. In 2007, a developer bought the property and donated the barn to Howard County, which then moved it to Woodstock, MD.

The building is an English wheat barn, constructed of hand-hewn oak and chestnut, with posts, beams and braces held together by wooden pegs, pounded into holes bored through the mortise and tendon joints.

Wheat was beaten with a threshing flail, breaking the grain and separating the seed from the husks. On windy days, the huge barn doors were opened and the threshed grain was scooped up in a sieve and tossed into the air. The chaff was carried away by the wind while the heavier grain fell back into a tray.

Sitting or standing alone in the barn, I imagine the souls of those who worked there as still resident, blessing the space with their silent presence.

And I have found some peace there, a passing of time without movement, a moment alone with the quiet chorus of lives passed. They had little time to sit.

I sit for them.
Seeing in 6s (1 of 6).jpg
Seeing in 6s (2 of 6).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Seeing in Sixes

Postby Psjunkie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 pm

#1 seems to have a slight halo like effect all around the edge of the building Matt, a pleasant image which seems to be lacking a couple of upper zones..not a deal breaker.

#2 like this straight on low perspective shot Matt, other than being a bit noisy a good one…

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Love the symmetry of #2. Very engaging geometric study, as well as pleasing textures and interesting light.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Psjunkie, Linda, Thanks. Still learning. Far to go. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 am

Off Topic
Matt Quinn wrote:... I will post the photos, two at a time because I can't post all six at once. Comments welcome.

I changed the setting to 6

- And you can always post two, the Reply and post two more, and two more. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:21 am

Matt Quinn wrote:... Seeing in Sixes:The Soul of a Barn

Old buildings enchant me.

The Mountjoy Barn, built pre-1798, originally sat on a slave farm in Ellicott City, Maryland. In 2007, a developer bought the property and donated the barn to Howard County, which then moved it to Woodstock, MD.

The building is an English wheat barn, constructed of hand-hewn oak and chestnut, with posts, beams and braces held together by wooden pegs, pounded into holes bored through the mortise and tendon joints.

Wheat was beaten with a threshing flail, breaking the grain and separating the seed from the husks. On windy days, the huge barn doors were opened and the threshed grain was scooped up in a sieve and tossed into the air. The chaff was carried away by the wind while the heavier grain fell back into a tray.

Sitting or standing alone in the barn, I imagine the souls of those who worked there as still resident, blessing the space with their silent presence.

And I have found some peace there, a passing of time without movement, a moment alone with the quiet chorus of lives passed. They had little time to sit.

I sit for them.

This is a beautifully written poem, but I especially like "I sit for them." S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 am

Thank you, Steve. Yes, that line has prompted very positive comments. Matt
Matt Quinn

Return to “Black & White”