“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's Corner'Mister Earp'

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Mister Earp'

Postby davechinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Mister Earp was another one from the reenactment shootout/gunfight in Cody, Wyoming.
Attachments
Mr Earp DEC_3483 B&W w.jpg
'Mister Earp'

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: 'Mister Earp'

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Yeah, I'm making that funny, silly growly noise in my throat again, going OMG and Wow and stuff. I cannot think of a single thing I would do differently with this. There is juuuuuuusssst enough separation in his hat. He has the eyes of a stone killer (Wyatt Earp was one, you know; historians are not at all sure he was the good guy, just the one who didn't die). I would not want to meet this man in a dark alley or a sunlit, dusty street!
:thumbup: :S :clap:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:40 pm

One of your better presentations Mr. Chinn, a real winner here...an extreme nitpick tone the two short right tuffs of hair the same as the long right piece..almost too bright as to distract.

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby ErichBrunner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:06 pm

davechinn wrote:Mister Earp was another one from the reenactment shootout/gunfight in Cody, Wyoming.

I think you did well to have this shot absolutely sharp. You also really controlled the exposure very nicely. He certainly looks menacing, and I think that was your point. Beautiful.
Erich

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:59 pm

davechinn wrote:Mister Earp was another one from the reenactment shootout/gunfight in Cody, Wyoming.

I don't know how you do what you do, but it's magic. I can't believe the skin on these characters; they must smoke four packs of unfiltered Lucky Strike before lunch.
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby rmalarz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 am

Excellent work, as usual, Dave.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:17 pm

One of my favorites of your dark-side portraits. Looks authentically period-style in presentation, which multiplies the impact. What I like best: how you made the eyes "connect" with the viewer in spite of being in heavy shadow.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 pm

I like it! Only other thing to do might be to age it, make the paper look like it is ripped from the pages of an old book.

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Yeah, I'm making that funny, silly growly noise in my throat again, going OMG and Wow and stuff. I cannot think of a single thing I would do differently with this. There is juuuuuuusssst enough separation in his hat. He has the eyes of a stone killer (Wyatt Earp was one, you know; historians are not at all sure he was the good guy, just the one who didn't die). I would not want to meet this man in a dark alley or a sunlit, dusty street!
:thumbup: :S :clap:

Thank you Chuck !!! The silly growly noise in your throat can be heard for miles and it is much appreciated. While this one is a favorite of mine, it encourages and motivates me to wanting more, and to seek out into unknown territory, only to hit a brick wall. Although, it is self rewarding to discover there is no wall at all, just the little pea between the ears. Thanks again !!!
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Psjunkie wrote:One of your better presentations Mr. Chinn, a real winner here...an extreme nitpick tone the two short right tuffs of hair the same as the long right piece..almost too bright as to distract.

Thanks Frank !!!
Dave

Return to “Black & White”