“Don't count the days, make the days count.” —Muhammad Ali

Critic's CornerOn the rocks

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

On the rocks

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:41 am

Have had family for the week; was itching to get the camera out, so I took it when I went shopping and stopped at the harbor on the way home.
On the rocks (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: On the rocks

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:15 am

While I like the composition and perspective Matt it is just a bit dark for me....

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Psjunkie wrote:While I like the composition and perspective Matt it is just a bit dark for me....

I must have my iMac screen up too high; looks too dark for me as well. Here's what I wanted. Thanks. Matt
On the rocks 2 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:While I like the composition and perspective Matt it is just a bit dark for me....

I must have my iMac screen up too high; looks too dark for me as well. Here's what I wanted. Thanks. MattOn the rocks 2 (1 of 1).jpg

I like this second one very much. The composition works, with the rocks sharply enough caught to establish the foreground, and the people each in their own plane moving back through the frame. Every element of the composition is balanced by another object, or another line, to give us a lot to see and keep the eye moving front to back taking in each "row" of information. The person with his/her back to us is enigmatic enough to make us wonder. Nicely done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:58 am

Thank you, Minnie, for the instructive and pointed review. This is actually a 20% crop; the whole photo was uninteresting until I spotted this corner. What originally caught my eye on the beach was the bucket next to the woman. It brought the scene down to earth for me and made it ordinary and common, which I like. Like someone leaving his tie askew while posing for a portrait. The bucket is lost in the full photo, however. Thanks again. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:00 am

minniev wrote:I like this second one very much. The composition works, with the rocks sharply enough caught to establish the foreground, and the people each in their own plane moving back through the frame. Every element of the composition is balanced by another object, or another line, to give us a lot to see and keep the eye moving front to back taking in each "row" of information. The person with his/her back to us is enigmatic enough to make us wonder. Nicely done.

Sometimes I feel lucky having come to a topic late as you always seem to say what I wanted but with more dignity and flair! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 am

Matt, the second is much better !!! A well composed image. Minnie puts the perspective right on the money.
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 am

Thank you, Dave. The focused comments really help. Matt
Matt Quinn

Return to “Black & White”