“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Critic's CornerAt the Mall

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

At the Mall

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Columbia Mall 4 (1 of 1).jpg
I went back to the Columbia,MD Mall yesterday to experiment with photos of the pillars and pipes and lights. I want to exclude people and store signs, something that was not very easy to do. And I also wanted to avoid hot spots from the gazillion lights. C&C very welcome. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: At the Mall

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm

An intriguing look most don't ever see. I really like the lines and patterns except...for the bright close triangle on upper left side. A tall, skinny crop to exclude it, or a landscape orientation of the bottom 2/3 work better for me. But there are so many fascinating designs here! Another possibility to retain your composition as-is would be to try darkening that piece (a very close lamp I guess that is, right?). But perhaps you like it for breaking the rhythm?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:An intriguing look most don't ever see. I really like the lines and patterns except...for the bright close triangle on upper left side. A tall, skinny crop to exclude it, or a landscape orientation of the bottom 2/3 work better for me. But there are so many fascinating designs here! Another possibility to retain your composition as-is would be to try darkening that piece (a very close lamp I guess that is, right?). But perhaps you like it for breaking the rhythm?

Thanks Linda. I attach the other effort I was thinking about, but I thought I would get folks' reaction to the lighter one. We seem to be thinking alike.
Columbia Mall 3 (1 of 1).jpg
What do you think about this one? Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Linda. I attach the other effort I was thinking about, but I thought I would get folks' reaction to the lighter one. We seem to be thinking alike. What do you think about this one? Thanks. Matt
Love the dark drama, but it still has that pesky triangle intruding on upper left. I can't seem to un-see it :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Linda. I attach the other effort I was thinking about, but I thought I would get folks' reaction to the lighter one. We seem to be thinking alike. What do you think about this one? Thanks. Matt
Love the dark drama, but it still has that pesky triangle intruding on upper left. I can't seem to un-see it :)

Linda, Either of these? I prefer the one in portrait mode.Matt
Columbia Mall for Linda (1 of 2).jpg
Attachments
Columbia Mall for Linda (2 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, Either of these? I prefer the one in portrait mode.Matt
Yes, the first is gorgeous IMO! Balanced composition with fascinating textures, lines and contrasts. Thank you :D

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Many thanks Linda for working me through this. I still hesitate; this has helped. Matt
Matt Quinn

Return to “Black & White”