“Don't count the days, make the days count.” —Muhammad Ali

Critic's CornerFeeding frenzy

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Feeding frenzy

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 am

The water in Cape Cod Bay is cooling as are the waters in the creeks, streams and kettle ponds. These seasonal changes affect the fish; the river herring (known on the Cape as 'alewives') that hatched in the spring are now racing to the bay. They are anadromous, born in fresh water, spend the majority of their lives in the ocean, and, April/May, return to the freshwater pools where they were born to spawn. The newly hatched alewives spend the spring and summer in the spawn pond,(first photo) moving into the creeks in late October to make their way to the ocean.
Feeding frenzy 2 (1 of 1).jpg

To get to the ocean, they trace the route, in reverse, their parents took to spawn, and, when they mature to a length of 8-10 inches, will return by the millions up the ladders of the runs to their birthplace.(This photo)
Feeding frenzy 3 (1 of 1).jpg

Predators await. Striped bass and blue fish, preparing to move south into warmer water, feed on them. In their effort to escape, the herring, about 2 inches long, break the surface where gulls, cormorants and other shore birds swarm, as seen in this photo.
Feeding frenzy 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Several years ago, I was on the Cape for the spring migration and took numerous photos of the fish pooling, then taking turns leaping up into the flow and over the ladder to the next pool. I had several photos of gulls with six inches of herring sticking out of its mouth, struggling to swallow it hole. Two years ago, my hard drives crashed, both the original and the backup, a once in a millennium event. I lost all those treasures. (I now have a double backup.)

Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Feeding frenzy

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Very well done photostory, Matt! Keeping to three images helps those of us with short attention spans (moi). I'm wondering if you set that goal of "just three" deliberately, and if so, do you feel by doing so you took more care in determining which would have the most impact.

I love most everything about nature and wildlife, so the subject of this series is of particular interest. Very enjoyable topic!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 am

LindaShorey wrote:Very well done photostory, Matt! Keeping to three images helps those of us with short attention spans (moi). I'm wondering if you set that goal of "just three" deliberately, and if so, do you feel by doing so you took more care in determining which would have the most impact.

I love most everything about nature and wildlife, so the subject of this series is of particular interest. Very enjoyable topic!

Thanks Linda. No, I don't think ahead of time about the number of photos; I take as many as I can, try to find the best of the lot , and narrow that to three. On my camera screen, the photos are so small I can't really tell which are in focus and which are not and what the dof is. I can see that only on my computer screen; then I choose. Thanks for asking. What do you do ? Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Linda. No, I don't think ahead of time about the number of photos... What do you do ? Matt
I like the limit of three for posting (I didn't mean limiting yourself/myself while shooting, though that was an exercise once that I did participate in - very stressful :) )

Of course we can add more with a second entry, and sometimes photo stories do need more. What I like about setting a limit, even if my own choice, is it forces me to pick what I think are the best of the theme. Of course that brings up a whole other topic of discussion: what the photographer likes best may not be what the viewer likes best :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 am

I might have liked to see the fish 'boiling' in the first or second, but found the story that goes with them just as interesting. Are you writing a photo-book?

The third is my favorite somehow offering that feeling of a cold watery day where the wind slips beneath your coat and chills you from the inside. The story is all there, the written word helps to add to it of course, but the image offers everything you need. Not an easy task and well taken indeed! Keep them coming! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:I might have liked to see the fish 'boiling' in the first or second, but found the story that goes with them just as interesting. Are you writing a photo-book?

The third is my favorite somehow offering that feeling of a cold watery day where the wind slips beneath your coat and chills you from the inside. The story is all there, the written word helps to add to it of course, but the image offers everything you need. Not an easy task and well taken indeed! Keep them coming! S-

Thank you, Steve. Now that I look at #3, I see it does tell the whole story .. Best to be brief. And leave them wanting more. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Thank you, Steve. Now that I look at #3, I see it does tell the whole story .. Best to be brief. And leave them wanting more. Thanks. Matt

Tha adage of a true storyteller! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Black & White”