"Black and white are the colors of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected." —Robert Frank

Critic's Corner'Leader of the Pack (Revised)

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Leader of the Pack (Revised)

Postby davechinn » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Since there was a discussion on the hand being so much out of focus and a distraction, I decided to make a correction with the encouragement from all. If not for that encouragement I can honestly say I would have done nothing. So, I want to thank all for that encouragement. It was a challenge that pushed me and sometimes I do need a little nudge. I decided not to correct the other image as that one was not as distracting. Here is the before and after so it makes it easier to compare, rather than jumping back and forth to compare. Thoughts and comments welcomed and appreciated.
Dave
Attachments
Leader of the Pack #2w DEC_8186 B&W.jpg
'Leader of the Pack (Original from previous post)
Leader Pack DEC_8186 B&W w.jpg
'Leader of the Pack' (Revised)

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: 'Leader of the Pack (Revised)

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm

That is ULTRAFINE work, Dave. If you had shown only the after I would never, ever guess anything had been done at all. You rebuilt the beard, rebuilt the collar right down to its curl, created the shoulder seam from nothing at all, removed the logo from the shirt, and duplicated the light. There are too many other tiny details to mention. This is a master class in retouching. :thanks: :thumbup: :clap:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby davechinn » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:That is ULTRAFINE work, Dave. If you had shown only the after I would never, ever guess anything had been done at all. You rebuilt the beard, rebuilt the collar right down to its curl, created the shoulder seam from nothing at all, removed the logo from the shirt, and duplicated the light. There are too many other tiny details to mention. This is a master class in retouching. :thanks: :thumbup: :clap:

Thank you Chuck !!! I appreciate you taking a look and inform me of the progress. I find what may look good to me, may not be for others and it takes comments and opinions to let me know I'm on the right path. Otherwise, I would just keep making the same mistakes over and over.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Fabulous work, Dave. It's such a compelling image without the distraction - well worth all the work you put into it!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby PietFrancke » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm

HOLY MOLY!!! there is a circle of blur bounded by the one bright stray hair (that you stole from the other side perhaps). That one bright hair catches my eye too much and it defines that circle - perhaps deaden it a little. And darken/harden the back hair camera right (I think). Where everything is sharp and solid, the blur stands out. But you are CLOSE man. Never would I have been able to do this - it is just awesome!

davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby davechinn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:12 am

LindaShorey wrote:Fabulous work, Dave. It's such a compelling image without the distraction - well worth all the work you put into it!

Thank you Linda, much appreciated.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby davechinn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:20 am

PietFrancke wrote:HOLY MOLY!!! there is a circle of blur bounded by the one bright stray hair (that you stole from the other side perhaps). That one bright hair catches my eye too much and it defines that circle - perhaps deaden it a little. And darken/harden the back hair camera right (I think). Where everything is sharp and solid, the blur stands out. But you are CLOSE man. Never would I have been able to do this - it is just awesome!

Piet, I'm so glad you pointed out that area. I didn't see it and once I did, I thought,"how did I miss that"? I suppose I was focusing more on the hand area. Either way, I missed it and have since made corrections. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Dave
Attachments
Leader Pack DEC_8186 B&W w.jpg
'Leader of the Pack' (Revised of the Revised)

Psjunkie
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Final image was worth the effort Dave....well done..

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Dave, If I had taken this photo, my friends and family would have knelt and bowed. Magical what you did from 1 to 2. When I grow up, I want to be able to do 1/10 of this. I agree, however, that the stray hair on the right is a distraction. I prefer the skin tone in the first.

The tilt of the head, the posture, eyes and crinkles all convey a self-assurance, and a life filled with mischief. And stories, if you would ask and listen, and secrets, if you would share. Many scars but few regrets. And friends beyond counting. Extraordinary. Thank you.
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:03 pm

WOW! I'm just seeing this, and you did an amazing job! I thought you would replace the hand with yours, and didn't think it was possible to do without. Wow! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Black & White”