Critic's Corner'Daily Dog Duty'

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
davechinn
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: 'Daily Dog Duty'

Postby davechinn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Duck wrote:This image reminds me of the recent Monthly Masters' Discussion posted by Minniev on the "Decisive Moment". We can clearly see the story unfolding in front of us as we are all familiar with this practice. My question is this; "is this the decisive moment of the scene?" If yes, why do you think so and if no, why not?

Personally I feel any given situation, like a story, has three potentially suitable 'decisive moments'. A beginning, a middle and an end. This image, while it does get the story across, feels like it's in between those decisive moments; not quite the beginning and yet not quite the middle. If course, not understanding the situation or circumstances under which the photo was taken one can only ponder the possibilities. What if his hand was just that little bit closer to the target of his attention? Would it have made for a stronger image?

Thank you Duck !!! Your comments are absolutely correct in my thoughts as well. I don't think this was the decisive moment of the scene. Actually, I can only compose the actual moment in my mind and it probably wouldn't be accurate to reality. However, I do agree and understand, where I should have taken a series of shots to capture the decisive moment, but not fully thinking, did not take anymore. As one who shot sports action for years, reminds me that even though the whistle has blown to indicate the end of a play, doesn't mean the photographer on the sidelines should stop shooting. At most times, some of the best shots are made in the aftermath of a play. I think 'Daily Dog Duty' is an example of stopping short of the play. Thanks for the descriptive reminder and although I knew better, I will definitely remember to continue for a decisive moment.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:49 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank you Duck !!! Your comments are absolutely correct in my thoughts as well. I don't think this was the decisive moment of the scene. Actually, I can only compose the actual moment in my mind and it probably wouldn't be accurate to reality. However, I do agree and understand, where I should have taken a series of shots to capture the decisive moment, but not fully thinking, did not take anymore. As one who shot sports action for years, reminds me that even though the whistle has blown to indicate the end of a play, doesn't mean the photographer on the sidelines should stop shooting. At most times, some of the best shots are made in the aftermath of a play. I think 'Daily Dog Duty' is an example of stopping short of the play. Thanks for the descriptive reminder and although I knew better, I will definitely remember to continue for a decisive moment.

I think we are all at fault with this to various degrees. Personally, I struggle with timing all the time. I constantly need to keep reminding myself to "slow down". It's a bad habit I picked up somewhere and never quite got over. I can't tell you how many great frames I could have had if only I had slowed myself down.

The real lesson here, though, is that you captured the scene. The story is still there and it still makes people chuckle. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby davechinn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Duck wrote:
davechinn wrote:Thank you Duck !!! Your comments are absolutely correct in my thoughts as well. I don't think this was the decisive moment of the scene. Actually, I can only compose the actual moment in my mind and it probably wouldn't be accurate to reality. However, I do agree and understand, where I should have taken a series of shots to capture the decisive moment, but not fully thinking, did not take anymore. As one who shot sports action for years, reminds me that even though the whistle has blown to indicate the end of a play, doesn't mean the photographer on the sidelines should stop shooting. At most times, some of the best shots are made in the aftermath of a play. I think 'Daily Dog Duty' is an example of stopping short of the play. Thanks for the descriptive reminder and although I knew better, I will definitely remember to continue for a decisive moment.

I think we are all at fault with this to various degrees. Personally, I struggle with timing all the time. I constantly need to keep reminding myself to "slow down". It's a bad habit I picked up somewhere and never quite got over. I can't tell you how many great frames I could have had if only I had slowed myself down.

The real lesson here, though, is that you captured the scene. The story is still there and it still makes people chuckle. :D

Thanks once again !!! I understand what your saying and agree. We all have our own little quirks, some can be corrected while some will just remain the same, out of habit. I also find that we learn more and faster from our own faults, once we recognize it, instead of being in denial with the mistakes overlooked. We just sometimes need another set of eyes in order to see the trees in the forest.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:41 am

davechinn wrote:While out attempting to capture various subjects for a composite in the works, I could not resist this shot because it reminded me of some individual dog owners in my neighborhood that simply will not clean up after their pet, as to say I have my own duty to catch such individuals, with no success. Go figure !!! This American Bulldog looks on as to ask, "Did I Do That", while the responsible owner does his 'Daily Dog Duty'

I love this for the story it tells, and for its processing. It looks like the entire right side has motion blur but the left is sharp. I love that, as a question though, is that a halo around his knee or is that a reflection from the sign? I keep looking at this to see what I would change and can't find a thing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:50 am

Duck wrote:This image reminds me of the recent Monthly Masters' Discussion posted by Minniev on the "Decisive Moment". We can clearly see the story unfolding in front of us as we are all familiar with this practice. My question is this; "is this the decisive moment of the scene?" If yes, why do you think so and if no, why not?

Personally I feel any given situation, like a story, has three potentially suitable 'decisive moments'. A beginning, a middle and an end. This image, while it does get the story across, feels like it's in between those decisive moments; not quite the beginning and yet not quite the middle. If course, not understanding the situation or circumstances under which the photo was taken one can only ponder the possibilities. What if his hand was just that little bit closer to the target of his attention? Would it have made for a stronger image?

This is the start of another post and a great discussion! Love it! S-

davechinn
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby davechinn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:00 am

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:While out attempting to capture various subjects for a composite in the works, I could not resist this shot because it reminded me of some individual dog owners in my neighborhood that simply will not clean up after their pet, as to say I have my own duty to catch such individuals, with no success. Go figure !!! This American Bulldog looks on as to ask, "Did I Do That", while the responsible owner does his 'Daily Dog Duty'

I love this for the story it tells, and for its processing. It looks like the entire right side has motion blur but the left is sharp. I love that, as a question though, is that a halo around his knee or is that a reflection from the sign? I keep looking at this to see what I would change and can't find a thing! S-

Thank you for commenting Steve !!! The right side being blurry is on a different focal plane from the left side. Some of it may also be motion blur as my camera settings were 1/60 shutter speed at 170 mm, f5.6mm, ISO was 100. The cars/traffic were further up the street, where most on the left side were on the same or close to the same focal plane as the subjects. I'm not sure of the knee area. That may be some sort of reflection, but further down the leg (below the knee) is haloing that I overlooked.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank you for commenting Steve !!! The right side being blurry is on a different focal plane from the left side. Some of it may also be motion blur as my camera settings were 1/60 shutter speed at 170 mm, f5.6mm, ISO was 100. The cars/traffic were further up the street, where most on the left side were on the same or close to the same focal plane as the subjects. I'm not sure of the knee area. That may be some sort of reflection, but further down the leg (below the knee) is haloing that I overlooked.
Dave

It's always fun working through an image with its artist. Thank you again! S-

davechinn
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby davechinn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 am

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:Thank you for commenting Steve !!! The right side being blurry is on a different focal plane from the left side. Some of it may also be motion blur as my camera settings were 1/60 shutter speed at 170 mm, f5.6mm, ISO was 100. The cars/traffic were further up the street, where most on the left side were on the same or close to the same focal plane as the subjects. I'm not sure of the knee area. That may be some sort of reflection, but further down the leg (below the knee) is haloing that I overlooked.
Dave

It's always fun working through an image with its artist. Thank you again! S-

Yes it's fun, Steve !!! I'm convinced that conversation is a way for all to learn something forgotten and maybe new. It's an enjoyable path to be on.
Dave

Return to “Black & White”