"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals CritiqueMorning Stretch - Dam Bird Collection

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Morning Stretch - Dam Bird Collection

Postby minniev » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 pm

pop511 wrote:Lovely tonal spread. Agree with positive statements.
ed

Thank you. You'll probably get tired of these things before it do!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Graham Smith wrote:Very nice Minnie, your Dam Birds are beginning to grow on me! :) :thumbup:

I'm glad. It's too late for me to turn back now.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Wed May 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Ceropegia wrote:I love how the birds glow and the somewhat ominous dam structure looming behind. I think would have cropped it slightly more to the left, if the original has room on the right. (Down a little to, if it weren't for the glowing water which you definitely wouldn't want to lose.)

Thank you for your suggestion. I will take a look at the crop possibility you suggested. I take every suggestion seriously and cannot say enough about how online friends have helped me shape this collection.

My thinking here, in including what I did, was to have those two oblique lines match as well as possible. Because the scenes are so peculiar and different areas/lighting produces such different images, I try to tie them together with elements: water in some cases, light in some, geometry in some. I confess I don't know what I'm doing half the time, and trying to figure it out as I go, so THANK you again for the specifics.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 20, 2017 3:37 am

minniev wrote:Here's one from today, for any kinds of critique and comments you feel inclined to offer.dam bird ballet (1 of 1)-2.jpg

DAM I LIKE IT! And I don't think I'll ever tire of these. I'm excited you won The Southern Exposure Grant - Luminous Endowment and 'expect' to see more posted here and hear about your progress. Don't think you can get off easy and fade these into the shadow. You deserved the grant and we want to see more!

Now with that said, I do have one critique, but it's minor and easy to fix. We'll three things now that I look at it again. First, I agree the image could be pushed a little to the left if the original will allow it. The concrete on the right edge could be as thick as the base the birds are standing on. If this is the original size though then no worries as it's a minor thing. The only thing that really bothers me is that black area under the right egret. Maybe if the three black areas weren't so black they wouldn't draw my attention, but once you see them you can unsee them and they become the focal point. Can you tone them down or blend them in a little to make them less obvious?

There are also a few errant dots that don't seem to belong, sensor spots maybe. I can circle them and repost or describe the approximate areas and let you take care of them. There are some on the structure itself I assume belong there, but these are more like fairy spottings and I'm told they don't like to go to print.

Wow, I love this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 am

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Here's one from today, for any kinds of critique and comments you feel inclined to offer.dam bird ballet (1 of 1)-2.jpg

DAM I LIKE IT! And I don't think I'll ever tire of these. I'm excited you won The Southern Exposure Grant - Luminous Endowment and 'expect' to see more posted here and hear about your progress. Don't think you can get off easy and fade these into the shadow. You deserved the grant and we want to see more!

Now with that said, I do have one critique, but it's minor and easy to fix. We'll three things now that I look at it again. First, I agree the image could be pushed a little to the left if the original will allow it. The concrete on the right edge could be as thick as the base the birds are standing on. If this is the original size though then no worries as it's a minor thing. The only thing that really bothers me is that black area under the right egret. Maybe if the three black areas weren't so black they wouldn't draw my attention, but once you see them you can unsee them and they become the focal point. Can you tone them down or blend them in a little to make them less obvious?

There are also a few errant dots that don't seem to belong, sensor spots maybe. I can circle them and repost or describe the approximate areas and let you take care of them. There are some on the structure itself I assume belong there, but these are more like fairy spottings and I'm told they don't like to go to print.

Wow, I love this! S-

Thank you for the kind words and the thorough review! That's just the kind of help I need. This one does have more/deeper blacks than most of the dam birds and the darks are a little harsher than I usually render them. I wasn't sure I liked it either, but was trying something different (as you well know, I am always trying something). If you're gonna show me those spots, please go on and show me the crop you're seeing, too. I have learned to respect your eye for a good crop. Spots could be sensor, could be spray spots on the lens, or actual spray I'm shooting through, or processing artifacts. I have been guilty of any and all :) I've even found a new anomaly at the dam - bugs. The day after I shot this one, a gazillion mayflies hatched out, and their wings created the oddest array of bokeh spots I've ever seen when I shot into the sun.

Online friends have done more for my project and my overall skills than I can ever repay!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 20, 2017 4:07 am

minniev wrote:... I've even found a new anomaly at the dam - bugs. The day after I shot this one, a gazillion mayflies hatched out, and their wings created the oddest array of bokeh spots I've ever seen when I shot into the sun.

Oh now you're just teasing us. A gazillion mayflies with fairy wing bokeh! I'm on the first plane out!!! S-

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat May 20, 2017 4:17 am

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:... I've even found a new anomaly at the dam - bugs. The day after I shot this one, a gazillion mayflies hatched out, and their wings created the oddest array of bokeh spots I've ever seen when I shot into the sun.

Oh now you're just teasing us. A gazillion mayflies with fairy wing bokeh! I'm on the first plane out!!! S-

Proof - the dots are mayflies. They only showed up as the dots when I was shooting straight into the sun, which is directly back of the thing that looks like a burning pyre but is really the sun shining through the waterspray.

The dam is mundane but always has a surprise for me.
Attachments
m (1 of 1).jpg
mayflies

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 20, 2017 4:32 am

minniev wrote:Thank you for the kind words and the thorough review! That's just the kind of help I need. This one does have more/deeper blacks than most of the dam birds and the darks are a little harsher than I usually render them. I wasn't sure I liked it either, but was trying something different (as you well know, I am always trying something). If you're gonna show me those spots, please go on and show me the crop you're seeing, too. I have learned to respect your eye for a good crop. Spots could be sensor, could be spray spots on the lens, or actual spray I'm shooting through, or processing artifacts. I have been guilty of any and all :) I've even found a new anomaly at the dam - bugs. The day after I shot this one, a gazillion mayflies hatched out, and their wings created the oddest array of bokeh spots I've ever seen when I shot into the sun.

Online friends have done more for my project and my overall skills than I can ever repay!

Family helps family! S-
Attachments
Spots.png
Spots.png (857.37 KiB) Viewed 383 times

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 20, 2017 4:33 am

minniev wrote:[Proof - the dots are mayflies. They only showed up as the dots when I was shooting straight into the sun, which is directly back of the thing that looks like a burning pyre but is really the sun shining through the waterspray.

The dam is mundane but always has a surprise for me.

Faries, They're Real!!! That's just cool!S-

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

I personally find this composition quite strong. And I love the tonal quality.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Return to “Animals Critique”