"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Workshops and SeminarsWalk the Bridges of NYC 5/24/15

The place for active professional members and educators to post and advertise their workshops
* Please include location and dates in your topic title
Forum rules
To post your event, product or service on this board you must be a member of the "Working Professionals Group". Regular members can respond to any posting here.

This forum is not intended for general discussion but simply for the announcement and advertising of events. Some posted events may have an attendance fee. Contact the posting member for additional information.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Walk the Bridges of NYC 5/24/15

Postby Duck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:13 am

PLEASE NOTE: DATE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

(View of Manhattan Bridge from Lower Manhattan)

As many times as I have been to Manhattan I have yet to get that one iconic photo of the Manhattan Bridge from Washington St. in DUMBO. Don't know which one I'm talking about? Google it, you'll know it when you see it. It's a well photographed scene and one I would love to add to my personal collection. If you want it too, this is your chance to join me for a day on the bridges.

(View of Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges from Lower Manhattan)

I plan to walk two of Manhattan's most famous bridges, the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. You are invited to join me on this excursion. No workshop, no itinerary, just a day with friends sightseeing with the goal of capturing some great images.

Each bridge is roughly a mile long walk. I will be stopping periodically to capture skyline, architecture, street scenes and anything else that presents itself. There will be many photo opportunities along these two routes.

By consensus, we can decide on that day which bridge to walk first. Once in Brooklyn we will head to Washington Street, grab our shots and then walk the other bridge back to Manhattan. From there we can decide what else to do.

WARNING: This is a vigorous excursion with a lot of walking. Make sure you are healthy enough to undertake this trip.

WHAT TO BRING: Bring your camera with fresh batteries and memory cards. If you feel up to it, maybe bring a tripod or monopod, otherwise keep it light. You will need comfortable walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing. A good sun hat is also useful. A water bottle is a must, either bring it with you or buy one along the way. We will stop for food somewhere along the way so bring spending cash.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Walk the Bridges of NYC 5/24/15

Postby TomCofer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:55 am

Sounds like a blast Duck. I wish you good company and great weather.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:19 pm

DUCK! Don’t forget the WILLIAMSBURG BRIDGE. It spans between the Lower East Side of Manhattan to the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. From the pedestrian walkway you get great shots of the Upper Manhattan skyline including the Empire State Building, The U.N. Building and the Chrysler Building. You cal also see Lower Manhattan including the two other bridges.

The Williamsburg section and the nearby Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood are great places for street photography and many mixed cultures and the same goes for the Lowe East Side. I was born and raised in Bed-Sty and went to School in Williamsburg. My first job in a studio was in Williamsburg on Bedford Avenue. I walked that bridge at least once a week- back in the day! Oh- the steel structure on that bridge makes for great framing in composition!

If you take the subway (to avoid parking issues) the Brooklyn stop is Marcy Avenue and Essex Street on the Manhattan side. Both are on the Broadway Brooklyn-Jamaica line. The train goes across the bridge as well so get ready for some vibration!

Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Ed
Attachments
williamsburg-bridge-brooklyn-sunset.jpg
williamsburg-bridge-brooklyn-sunset.jpg (119.19 KiB) Viewed 675 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Ed Shapiro wrote:DUCK! Don’t forget the WILLIAMSBURG BRIDGE...

Good point Ed. I'll toss it to the group and see if they're up for the extended trip.
Thanks

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Seven weeks away and I already have 26 people signed up.

I'm wondering if I should have put a cap on this :wall:
Nah! the more the merrier. :clap:
There's even interest in staying until sunset and catching the city lights.
I'll have to bring an extra memory card ;)

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Would love to walk the bridges with you, if I lived nearby. Walking around Manhattan with a camera in hand is one of my favorite things to do when in the city. Last year I walked part of the Brooklyn Bridge, but was on a very tight schedule so I didn't go all the way across. Wish I had though.

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Duck!

You may have to do a series of BRIDGE workshops. The Bronx Whitestone Bridge is so elegant. The of course the is the George Washington Bridge and let’s not forget the Verrazano Bridge which spasm between Fort Hamilton (Brooklyn) and Staten Island- still one of the longest bridges in the world!

Ed
Attachments
BX Whitestone.jpg
BX Whitestone.jpg (140.21 KiB) Viewed 660 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Ed Shapiro wrote:Duck!

You may have to do a series of BRIDGE workshops. The Bronx Whitestone Bridge is so elegant. The of course the is the George Washington Bridge and let’s not forget the Verrazano Bridge which spasm between Fort Hamilton (Brooklyn) and Staten Island- still one of the longest bridges in the world!

Ed

Sounds like a plan...

Actually, another workshop I'd love to do is a landscape workshop at the Palisades. The sheer cliffs are striking, specially when the light is just right.

Return to “Workshops and Seminars”