Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People Critique'Ode to Billie Joe'

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Ode to Billie Joe'

Post by davechinn »

This is one I captured on the streets of Cincinnati during the Reds' opening day parade and while I usually favor B&W, I thought I would attempt something different. This is my 4th visit (I think) and it is pretty much becoming a tradition for me to attend and capture the spectators rather than the parade itself. The parade starts at Findlay Market http://www.findlaymarketparade.com/ and ends on 5th street, which is about a 15 block walk as I follow along and eventually end up at the stadium.
However, this years was JUST a little bit different for me. Traveling with a backpack and camera with a sore lower back due to yard work a couple days previously. While at the end of the parade on 5th street, I knelt down to capture a few shots. When I had finished and made my attempt to stand up. I lost my footing and went face down, hat & glasses flew off and onto 5th street. After that embarrassing encounter I discovered blood from my left wrist, a sore scratched right elbow and what felt like was going to be a fat lip. People around me asking if I was okay and offered tissues to help with the bleeding. One individual asked on 4 different occasions if I was okay, bless his heart !!! You can't take me ANYWHERE !!! :lol: :oops:
Attachments
'Ode to Billie Joe'
'Ode to Billie Joe'
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev »

davechinn wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:38 pm
This is one I captured on the streets of Cincinnati during the Reds' opening day parade and while I usually favor B&W, I thought I would attempt something different. This is my 4th visit (I think) and it is pretty much becoming a tradition for me to attend and capture the spectators rather than the parade itself. The parade starts at Findlay Market http://www.findlaymarketparade.com/ and ends on 5th street, which is about a 15 block walk as I follow along and eventually end up at the stadium.
However, this years was JUST a little bit different for me. Traveling with a backpack and camera with a sore lower back due to yard work a couple days previously. While at the end of the parade on 5th street, I knelt down to capture a few shots. When I had finished and made my attempt to stand up. I lost my footing and went face down, hat & glasses flew off and onto 5th street. After that embarrassing encounter I discovered blood from my left wrist, a sore scratched right elbow and what felt like was going to be a fat lip. People around me asking if I was okay and offered tissues to help with the bleeding. One individual asked on 4 different occasions if I was okay, bless his heart !!! You can't take me ANYWHERE !!! :lol: :oops:
Dave, I swear you are almost as clumsy as I am. We may need to recruit a photographer who is also a nurse for our Monhegan trip...

Great image. I don't know what you've done, but it works. It is a grungy but detailed kind of processing that I really like, and would work well on many of our NOLA subjects. . I admit I opened the thread expecting Bobbie Gentry, but while I'm surprised, I'm not disappointed. This is a good portrait.

I might try to fight off a little of the reflection on the bridge of the nose but it might not work, either. It isn't really a distraction so it's a matter of preference and workability.

Have you recovered yet? I'm still trying to get over a furniture moving event last week, where I ended up having to help the eldest son move a piece that was too large for just him, and turned out to be too large for both of us.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

minniev wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:27 pm
davechinn wrote:
Dave, I swear you are almost as clumsy as I am. We may need to recruit a photographer who is also a nurse for our Monhegan trip...

Great image. I don't know what you've done, but it works. It is a grungy but detailed kind of processing that I really like, and would work well on many of our NOLA subjects. . I admit I opened the thread expecting Bobbie Gentry, but while I'm surprised, I'm not disappointed. This is a good portrait.

I might try to fight off a little of the reflection on the bridge of the nose but it might not work, either. It isn't really a distraction so it's a matter of preference and workability.

Have you recovered yet? I'm still trying to get over a furniture moving event last week, where I ended up having to help the eldest son move a piece that was too large for just him, and turned out to be too large for both of us.

A nurse photographer would be in order. Seems like the clumsiness gets worse by the day now instead of the year.

A color grunge was my intent. About 75% of my subjects will already have a chosen title, but some I struggle with such as this one. When I don't have a title that doesn't seem to fit, I'll search my music files for help. I had a couple of others in mind but this one seemed to be appropriate.

I just started doing this type of process and I think this was my first post with one. I have several other characters from the same event and like anything, more practice is needed.

I agree, the reflection/hot spot on the nose is a distraction. There are some other areas that need attention and I may work on that later. Thanks for you feedback. It helps so much to get other opinions and point out issues needed for correction.

I have recovered from the pain, but the scars are still noticeable.

Moving furniture can be a task and hopefully ya'll weren't half way up a flight of stairs to discover it was too much. I helped my son move a sofa a couple of years ago only to discover it would not fit through one of the doorways. Back out to the truck we went.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I really like what you did with color.

The reason I can speak so definitively about Ode to Billie Joe is that I grew up in Carroll County and my grandfather, and later Gene and myself, owned the Carroll County Picture show that became slightly famous as a result of being mentioned in that song. It cost 5 cents to get in when Bobbie Gentry and I were young. I never knew her even though the town was only a few hundred souls. She was a few years older, and lived out "in the country".
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Well done image Dave and I agree with addressing some of the shine areas..any other comments would be purely personal preference..you never cease to amaze with your capture and presentation.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Spills, trips, falls, stumbles and all those countless near misses... I know them well.
Glad to know you're okay though.

I see the resemblance. Nice work on the processing. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

minniev wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 pm
I really like what you did with color.

The reason I can speak so definitively about Ode to Billie Joe is that I grew up in Carroll County and my grandfather, and later Gene and myself, owned the Carroll County Picture show that became slightly famous as a result of being mentioned in that song. It cost 5 cents to get in when Bobbie Gentry and I were young. I never knew her even though the town was only a few hundred souls. She was a few years older, and lived out "in the country".

That is some interesting info, thanks for sharing it Minnie !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 am
Well done image Dave and I agree with addressing some of the shine areas..any other comments would be purely personal preference..you never cease to amaze with your capture and presentation.

Thanks Frank !!! I knew you would understand the areas in need.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

Duck wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 pm
Spills, trips, falls, stumbles and all those countless near misses... I know them well.
Glad to know you're okay though.

I see the resemblance. Nice work on the processing. :thumbup:

Thanks Duck !!! I have just recently ordered a padded room for my own safety. 8):
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M »

davechinn wrote:
You always have a way of finding the soul of an image. One foot in front of the other, we rely on you for inspiration! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"