Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People CritiqueHavana Morning

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Havana Morning

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:25 pm

OK, so I've been gone a while doing Christmas twice in two different locations plus a lot of other holiday hosting. Now I'm back, and working on my Cuba pictures again.

Here's one I took early morning in Havana as people were just beginning to move about the Old City. All suggestions appreciated.
Attachments
havana morning (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 pm

not working for me... The two seated guys are boxed in by the tree and they are in the shade (a dark area surrounded by light - the inverse of what a subject demands. But... Try cropping the tree out and zoom in on the three of them. Mostly I am thinking that rather than framing them, the two trees are boxing them in for some reason. (just random honest thoughts, not sure about the validity of them!)

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:43 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 pm
not working for me... The two seated guys are boxed in by the tree and they are in the shade (a dark area surrounded by light - the inverse of what a subject demands. But... Try cropping the tree out and zoom in on the three of them. Mostly I am thinking that rather than framing them, the two trees are boxing them in for some reason. (just random honest thoughts, not sure about the validity of them!)
I always appreciate honest responses! Of course framing was what I was trying for, but not everything we try works!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:09 pm

My first impression was similar to Piet's "a dark area surrounded by light - the inverse of what a subject demands." Try giving some prominence to the men by lightening them up some...I dunno..unlike Piet I don't find the trees an issue

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm

Minnie, my observation happens to be similar to Piet & Frank. I understand your thought process by framing the three between the trees and it does work, but I feel a tighter crop would work as well. The exposure appears to be fine, but you know I prefer the dark side, so that would be pure selective.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:51 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm
Minnie, my observation happens to be similar to Piet & Frank. I understand your thought process by framing the three between the trees and it does work, but I feel a tighter crop would work as well. The exposure appears to be fine, but you know I prefer the dark side, so that would be pure selective.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I'll have to think a little further into this one. I was more worried about the wood-salesman and the train being too much in the sink, but it seems I missed some other problems as well.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 pm

the wood salesman is the hero (subject) of this image in my mind.. looking like he is ready to join their conversation.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:03 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 pm
the wood salesman is the hero (subject) of this image in my mind.. looking like he is ready to join their conversation.
I actually built the photo around the wood guy, waiting for him to round the corner and get behind the musicians, who were just getting ready for the day and not doing that much. the wood guy was more industrious.