People Critique'BackWoodsMan'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'BackWoodsMan'

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:04 pm

While out yesterday morning with beautiful spring like weather,I felt I should take advantage of it for some past time street shots. Altho, I didn't come away with much, I was able to capture this one. I'm not very happy with it, but posting anyway to see what sticks and what doesn't. This gentleman was delivering morning papers. While I was driving I lost him so I went around the block to return only to find him nowhere in site. Made another turn to get back onto my original destination and there he was again. Laziness & fear from losing track of him again forced me to shoot through the tinted windshield. As you can probably see, slightly out of focus or soft focus from the windshield. Regardless, I took this shot among a few others and while trying to make some lemonade from this sour lemon by dodging and burning, adding a few textured layers among some other goofy experimentations, I present to you 'BackWoodsMan'
Let me have it, it's well deserved, I should have just trashed this one, but I don't delete anything, I usually just lose my files.
Dave
Attachments
Backwoodsman DEC_1233 B&W w.jpg
'BackWoodsMan'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Don't see any lemons or trash here Dave, well done. the darkness left seems to cause a bit of unbalance for me so I might add some of that bokeh around in there.

Edit: My verbal communication skills are crap Dave so hope you get this.....after a longer look his left eye brightness doesn't seem right as if it has some bokeh or brightening over it, can't tell when zoomed in, but looks odd at normal viewing distance if that makes sense.....kinda reminds me of an old dog I had that ended up with a blind eye, it starts going white very slowly..cloudy is the word I finally figured out I was looking for..just enough to stand out

2nd Edit: I wasn't sure if I could work the image to convey my suggestions and some additional thoughts since you wanted to have it, but was able to, so give me a heads up and I'll pm it to you if your interested, if not no big deal...

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:04 pm
While out yesterday morning with beautiful spring like weather,I felt I should take advantage of it for some past time street shots. Altho, I didn't come away with much, I was able to capture this one. I'm not very happy with it, but posting anyway to see what sticks and what doesn't. This gentleman was delivering morning papers. While I was driving I lost him so I went around the block to return only to find him nowhere in site. Made another turn to get back onto my original destination and there he was again. Laziness & fear from losing track of him again forced me to shoot through the tinted windshield. As you can probably see, slightly out of focus or soft focus from the windshield. Regardless, I took this shot among a few others and while trying to make some lemonade from this sour lemon by dodging and burning, adding a few textured layers among some other goofy experimentations, I present to you 'BackWoodsMan'
Let me have it, it's well deserved, I should have just trashed this one, but I don't delete anything, I usually just lose my files.
Dave
I really like the image and the lighting, however it was accomplished and whether or not it was intended as it appears now. The expression is powerful, and the angle is great.
Not a sour lemon but a really good image.
My only quibble is the vertical white lines just to the left of his face, which seem to box him into a spider web and bisect the frame. I believe I would try to mitigate those, though the other vertical white lines don't seem to impede my appreciation for the whole piece. I think that might help alleviate the issue Frank is mentioning too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 pm
Don't see any lemons or trash here Dave, well done. the darkness left seems to cause a bit of unbalance for me so I might add some of that bokeh around in there.

Edit: My verbal communication skills are crap Dave so hope you get this.....after a longer look his left eye brightness doesn't seem right as if it has some bokeh or brightening over it, can't tell when zoomed in, but looks odd at normal viewing distance if that makes sense.....kinda reminds me of an old dog I had that ended up with a blind eye, it starts going white very slowly..cloudy is the word I finally figured out I was looking for..just enough to stand out

2nd Edit: I wasn't sure if I could work the image to convey my suggestions and some additional thoughts since you wanted to have it, but was able to, so give me a heads up and I'll pm it to you if your interested, if not no big deal...

Thanks Frank !!! I appreciate your initial first thoughts, but then your edit made more sense to me. I agree his eye and actually both eyes are not up to par. I think the whole issue is ... while the photo may be well composed to my liking, the quality of the photo itself is just CRAP and unrepairable. I do like the photo as is, but not to actually do anything with, such as a wall hanger or in any type of composition. All efforts were for practice purposes, altho I would have liked to have a better quality image, I'll just have to learn from my lazy mistakes and move on.

Thanks for your attempt to correcting the eyes, but I wouldn't waste anymore of your time. I don't plan on making any corrections, because like I mentioned, this image is unrepairable !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey