People CritiqueBroken Dreams

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Broken Dreams

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Came across this one while looking for Dave's fortuneteller, and decided to post it. I hesitated because it is a sad one. New Orleans, Jackson Square.
Attachments
broken dreaming (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 pm
Came across this one while looking for Dave's fortuneteller, and decided to post it. I hesitated because it is a sad one. New Orleans, Jackson Square.

Sad as it is Minnie, I still love it. It speaks high volumes of awareness and as you know, it's reality that probably will never change. Someone, somewhere will always be in this type of predicament.

I have a couple shots of him that I started on a couple of weeks ago. The one I was working got put on the back burner and eventually was forgotten. I even started a B&W composite that mysteriously got deleted or lost in my infinite filing process.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Sad as it is Minnie, I still love it. It speaks high volumes of awareness and as you know, it's reality that probably will never change. Someone, somewhere will always be in this type of predicament.

I have a couple shots of him that I started on a couple of weeks ago. The one I was working got put on the back burner and eventually was forgotten. I even started a B&W composite that mysteriously got deleted or lost in my infinite filing process.
Dave
When you find yours, do add it! it was a troubling shot for me. But you are right that it is reality and there will always be people like this who have fallen a bit off the edge of the world.

Though troubling, it seemed poignantly appropriate for Christmas for some reason.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 pm

I concur with reality and find it well presented minniev....consider a crop down to just above the grass or top of mailbox and maybe some cloning..for me the back ground people are drawing me from the subject......

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 pm
I concur with reality and find it well presented minniev....consider a crop down to just above the grass or top of mailbox and maybe some cloning..for me the back ground people are drawing me from the subject......
Thanks Frank.

My goal, misguided or not, was to show some contrast between this poor lost soul in the dark foreground and the rather normal people wandering in the light behind.

Kitchen sink :)

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:19 pm

So I'm batting 100% as always miss the story being told...maybe because I'm never really looking for one..

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:19 pm
So I'm batting 100% as always miss the story being told...maybe because I'm never really looking for one..
Your interpretation is just as valid as mine! Always appreciated...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:02 pm

and I see it as a fascinating study of the human form and how it is full of motion/movement/balance. I'm with Frank on this one, I'd like to see it fully gritty and dark with the green/light background between the bars eliminated. A story of "how did this happen?". Choices made? Bad luck encountered? The day after? Contrast with normalcy unneeded. Make the mundane go away. Perhaps go with sepia or B/W in the upper areas but keep the rust and stone and metal and skin colors below.

the Remnants of man,
strewn by the harsh winds of time
rotting where they fall

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:05 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:02 pm
and I see it as a fascinating study of the human form and how it is full of motion/movement/balance. I'm with Frank on this one, I'd like to see it fully gritty and dark with the green/light background between the bars eliminated. A story of "how did this happen?". Choices made? Bad luck encountered? The day after? Contrast with normalcy unneeded. Make the mundane go away. Perhaps go with sepia or B/W in the upper areas but keep the rust and stone and metal and skin colors below.

the Remnants of man,
strewn by the harsh winds of time
rotting where they fall
I can visualize that just as you describe it but I'm not sure how to get there. That will be the challenge! Thanks. I agree about the form. There is something fascinating and almost dance-like about the main figure's unintended pose.