Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People Critique'Bagpiper' (Jackson Square, New Orleans)

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Bagpiper' (Jackson Square, New Orleans)

Post by davechinn »

While Minnie, Earl (Minnie's husband) & I were at Jackson Square in New Orleans one morning photographing those that have just awaken, some still asleep and some that have been out all night, this bagpiper had just started his exercise. I took a few of him off in the distance, then captured some of the other residents, but while I was sitting on a park bench switching from one lens to the another, unbeknownst to me (until it was too late) he was in my face, kneecap to kneecap for at least two minutes, well maybe one, but it seemed like an hour. Temperature rising already at 7:00 A.M. I could feel the sweat clammy skin from his kneecaps. An awkward predicament, so I made the best of the situation and captured what I could. Not sure if Minnie captured any of this event as I'm sure it would be a site to see my actual body language and expression. Feel free to post what you have Minnie. I was able to locate a live performance of him from 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GE9OvW56nM
Dave
Attachments

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev »

davechinn wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:43 pm
While Minnie, Earl (Minnie's husband) & I were at Jackson Square in New Orleans one morning photographing those that have just awaken, some still asleep and some that have been out all night, this bagpiper had just started his exercise. I took a few of him off in the distance, then captured some of the other residents, but while I was sitting on a park bench switching from one lens to the another, unbeknownst to me (until it was too late) he was in my face, kneecap to kneecap for at least two minutes, well maybe one, but it seemed like an hour. Temperature rising already at 7:00 A.M. I could feel the sweat clammy skin from his kneecaps. An awkward predicament, so I made the best of the situation and captured what I could. Not sure if Minnie captured any of this event as I'm sure it would be a site to see my actual body language and expression. Feel free to post what you have Minnie. I was able to locate a live performance of him from 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GE9OvW56nM
Dave
I did not see Dave's acrobatics, wish I had. I would have loved to capture the event. I don't have any of the bagpiper that I'm crazy about, but may rustle up a comparison for fun. I got enthralled with the Dark Lord, who was sweeping about the square in his cape and displaying his branding (ouch) about this time, so I just missed the fun.

These are good, I like the second for the intimate look (yeah, I know we aren't supposed to take pictures of nostrils but hey they are there, so I'm just sorry) that captures how difficult this instrument really is. Add the 100 degree+ heat and you see why he favors a kilt.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

minniev wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 pm

These are good, I like the second for the intimate look (yeah, I know we aren't supposed to take pictures of nostrils but hey they are there, so I'm just sorry) that captures how difficult this instrument really is. Add the 100 degree+ heat and you see why he favors a kilt.
Here's my bagpipe guy. Not much artistic business going on here. Just a kitchen sink composition.
Attachments
no (1 of 1).jpg

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

A well composed bagpiper Minnie !!! The color gives it so much justice. I love this point of view, there is something about the partial bench and bike in the foreground that adds so much to the composition, I like it very much and like you love seeing your versions of our NOLA visit for comparison. It adds so much more the entertainment.

Yea I'll have to agree, the up your nose image is not flattering at all, but I was stuck. I could not get up until he backed away. His kneecaps were literally touching mine as I sat confused to what was happening. So it was probably best (for me) that you didn't capture the act.
Dave

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Certainly a character Dave..well presented images although I'm not sure who captured who...the b/w treatment I am of course partial to without being able to pick a favorite because I like each for different reasons...since you did post in critique I will say I found some nitpicks but will leave them lay as I'm sure you are already aware.....great job Dave.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

minniev your treatment of him is an excellent choice for this image, and there's no issue at all with the kitchen sink here..well done.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 am
Certainly a character Dave..well presented images although I'm not sure who captured who...the b/w treatment I am of course partial to without being able to pick a favorite because I like each for different reasons...since you did post in critique I will say I found some nitpicks but will leave them lay as I'm sure you are already aware.....great job Dave.

Thanks Frank !!! As I remember, I believe he captured me. No running and nowhere to hide. Trapped !!! There is no doubt, nitpicks, flaws, etc. will be found. This is really not my sort of capture but will take it nonetheless, under the previous circumstances.
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

davechinn wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 pm
A well composed bagpiper Minnie !!! The color gives it so much justice. I love this point of view, there is something about the partial bench and bike in the foreground that adds so much to the composition, I like it very much and like you love seeing your versions of our NOLA visit for comparison. It adds so much more the entertainment.

Yea I'll have to agree, the up your nose image is not flattering at all, but I was stuck. I could not get up until he backed away. His kneecaps were literally touching mine as I sat confused to what was happening. So it was probably best (for me) that you didn't capture the act.
Dave
Noses don't bother me, because photos don't always have to be flattering. Sometimes they are just realistic, and this is one. I hate I missed your acrobatics! It would have made a great photo op!

Yes, I love seeing our photos of the same subjects. That's what makes a joint photo shoot so much fun!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 am
minniev your treatment of him is an excellent choice for this image, and there's no issue at all with the kitchen sink here..well done.
thanks, in NOLA the sink is always pretty full...

St3v3Murray
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3Murray »

davechinn wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:43 pm
Dave
Wow, look at that neck, he's been at it awhile. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"