Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People CritiqueThe Happy Chefs

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Happy Chefs

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm

These guys were the cooks at an old restaurant that Hemingway used to favor, and where mojitos were born. They had slipped out on break after the lunch rush, and were pleased to get their photos taken. All feedback appreciated, you know I'm not a people photographer. Edits welcome.
Attachments
cuba (1 of 1)-4.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:47 pm

I like the framing and the rough/beat up environment. Some thoughts - consider toning down the red shirt a little, the front guy looks washed out from being in the brighter light (perhaps give him a touch more saturation). Consider changing his whitish clothes (a chance for color play, but I am at a loss for which color). As always, might be all wet here, but giving my first impressions as they hit me - not critique so much as first impressions.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:51 pm

You have captured a great image here minniev, gotta love everything about it..looks to me like you're a great people photographer...since you asked for edits I decided to give you one of my perceptions of this one, doesn't make it any better just different...
Attachments
cuba (1 of 1)-4 copy_psjunkie.jpg

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm
These guys were the cooks at an old restaurant that Hemingway used to favor, and where mojitos were born. They had slipped out on break after the lunch rush, and were pleased to get their photos taken. All feedback appreciated, you know I'm not a people photographer. Edits welcome.
Love this image Minnie !!! A couple of happy boys there. Expression makes or breaks a photo and for you to say you're not a people photographer is a debate you may lose. We all have seen the evidence to prove it. This image is a good candidate for to grunge up some, so I thought I would throw in a B&W version.
Dave
Attachments
minnie #2 cuba (1 of 1)-4-Recovered.jpg
minnie #2 cuba (1 of 1)-4-Recovered.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 363 times
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:08 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:47 pm
I like the framing and the rough/beat up environment. Some thoughts - consider toning down the red shirt a little, the front guy looks washed out from being in the brighter light (perhaps give him a touch more saturation). Consider changing his whitish clothes (a chance for color play, but I am at a loss for which color). As always, might be all wet here, but giving my first impressions as they hit me - not critique so much as first impressions.
Thanks Piet, and I agree with you on the reds needing control and the front guy needing a bit more vibrancy. I dunno about changing color, but it sounds like a good skill to learn, something I’ve not done much of and when I succeeded, had no idea how I did it.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:51 pm
You have captured a great image here minniev, gotta love everything about it..looks to me like you're a great people photographer...since you asked for edits I decided to give you one of my perceptions of this one, doesn't make it any better just different...
Looks like you addressed the correction fundamentals that Piet pointed out. Thanks!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:10 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm
Love this image Minnie !!! A couple of happy boys there. Expression makes or breaks a photo and for you to say you're not a people photographer is a debate you may lose. We all have seen the evidence to prove it. This image is a good candidate for to grunge up some, so I thought I would throw in a B&W version.
Dave
There’s always room for a good Chinn grunge version.

I found that the Cuban people, in general (except for the Flower Ladies who insist on being paid first) like having their pictures made.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:30 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:08 pm
Looks like you addressed the correction fundamentals that Piet pointed out. Thanks!
it appears Piet and I were on the same page as I was editing the image while he was posting comment......kinda scary to think my thoughts are similar to Piet's...Bahahaha!!