People CritiqueAlone in a Crowd - sort of NSFW

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Alone in a Crowd - sort of NSFW

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm posting this one here since she isn't really nude, and she has a rather lackadaisical attitude about what she's doing, more interested in her phone than in drawing an audience. I haven't seen Chinn post his version, but maybe he'll add it. We came across her as it got dark on Bourbon St and the nightlife began to kick in. I couldn't figure a way to edit and present it, but experimented today with radial blur, and some masking and texturing.
Attachments
nsfw (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Looks like your learning the effects....

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm

My comments would be, "Cool Image", Minnie !!! I remember her and I was a little taken back by her just sitting there in the middle of Bourbon St. However, my version is a little different than yours. I did not include the kitchen sink as you have and after seeing yours I wish I had. I love what you have done with this image. Your experimentation with radial blur works well here. The blur really pulls me in to focus on her, but yet still able to view the surrounding environment.

I'm posting my version which is at a different angle from yours. I'm also adding a composite I put together and I had doubts about the direction of lighting and wondering if it works for most.
Dave
Attachments
In the Road DEC_0677w.jpg
' All Alone'
Alone DEC_0679w.jpg
'Alone'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:18 pm

The light seems to wrap around her just right as far as I can tell Dave..good job

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:55 pm
Looks like your learning the effects....
I still don't know 1/10 of them.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm
My comments would be, "Cool Image", Minnie !!! I remember her and I was a little taken back by her just sitting there in the middle of Bourbon St. However, my version is a little different than yours. I did not include the kitchen sink as you have and after seeing yours I wish I had. I love what you have done with this image. Your experimentation with radial blur works well here. The blur really pulls me in to focus on her, but yet still able to view the surrounding environment.

I'm posting my version which is at a different angle from yours. I'm also adding a composite I put together and I had doubts about the direction of lighting and wondering if it works for most.
Dave
I got one from the angle as your first shot below, though it was not nearly this good. As you know, I'm hooked on the context of these things. There really was too much kitchen sink even for me, so I couldn't figure what to do with her, then thought to try the radial blur since she is the main subject. Then I masked her back in and brushed in the pieces of the sink I thought were essential.

I really like your composite. I would never have thought of bringing the police motorcycles in! They give the kitchen sink approach a whole new story! Well done, especially with the lighting (and the concept).

The was a French Quarter anomaly. Very nonchalant about her whole gig. She plopped herself down in the middle of the street as if to say, "well, here I am, and I'm naked, so give me money."

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:18 pm
The light seems to wrap around her just right as far as I can tell Dave..good job

Thanks Frank, sometimes it's hard to judge.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Dave
I got one from the angle as your first shot below, though it was not nearly this good. As you know, I'm hooked on the context of these things. There really was too much kitchen sink even for me, so I couldn't figure what to do with her, then thought to try the radial blur since she is the main subject. Then I masked her back in and brushed in the pieces of the sink I thought were essential.

I really like your composite. I would never have thought of bringing the police motorcycles in! They give the kitchen sink approach a whole new story! Well done, especially with the lighting (and the concept).

The was a French Quarter anomaly. Very nonchalant about her whole gig. She plopped herself down in the middle of the street as if to say, "well, here I am, and I'm naked, so give me money."

Plopped herself down is about the way it appeared to be. I thought the idea of a half naked woman in the middle of any street would be reason enough for the police to be involved. Not in NOLA thou !!! She also blended in with the low light conditions and I felt that the blue lights added and helped with those conditions.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Sad, sad town, paradoxically joining extremes but never meeting in the middle. Always on display. How does anyone relax there? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:51 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:32 pm
Sad, sad town, paradoxically joining extremes but never meeting in the middle. Always on display. How does anyone relax there? Matt
By getting off Bourbon St!! The rest of the city is pretty laid back. Most residents never go there. When I lived there I only went during Mardi Gras or if I had an out of town visitor. But the locals who make their living from the tourists who flock there are interesting subjects for photography and even more interesting if you take time to get to know them and hear their stories. Some are sad, some zany, some astounding.