People Critique'Salty Dog'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Salty Dog'

Post by davechinn » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Approximately a month ago I posted a composite titled 'Tugboat Captain'. Since then I have come up with the hairbrained idea to use the same composite, convert to B&W, but use a much more familiar face. I rather like it and I always think it is good to be able to laugh at oneself. Your thoughts and laughs are welcomed !!!

Salty Dog is nautical slang for an experienced sailor who has spent much of his life aboard a ship at sea. A salty dog is often given increased credibility by ship mates in matters pertaining to ship-board life and duties. ... "Salty dog" also means ornery, as in the T-Bone Walker tune "Ain't Salty No More."
Dave
Attachments
Salty Dog B&W w.jpg
'Salty Dog'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Great one Salty Dog...if I were to nit-pik I'd say work the area around you left ear and hair a touch more, sorta stand out bright wise...

Edit: I been trying to quit the Mr. Chinn and refer to you as Dave, this picture shows why it's been hard for me....now I got a new one......

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Marvelous transformation, Dave. My nit-pick would be that the white clouds are a touch too bright and distract from the mood. But I always have trouble with the whites. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:41 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm
Approximately a month ago I posted a composite titled 'Tugboat Captain'. Since then I have come up with the hairbrained idea to use the same composite, convert to B&W, but use a much more familiar face. I rather like it and I always think it is good to be able to laugh at oneself. Your thoughts and laughs are welcomed !!!

Salty Dog is nautical slang for an experienced sailor who has spent much of his life aboard a ship at sea. A salty dog is often given increased credibility by ship mates in matters pertaining to ship-board life and duties. ... "Salty dog" also means ornery, as in the T-Bone Walker tune "Ain't Salty No More."
Dave
What a cool project! Well done. But I confess I would have been more taken in by it if I hadn't seen the first version, so now it seems you are not cheerful enough to replace the other smiling fellow whose face was once on those shoulders.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:11 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:05 pm
Great one Salty Dog...if I were to nit-pik I'd say work the area around you left ear and hair a touch more, sorta stand out bright wise...

Edit: I been trying to quit the Mr. Chinn and refer to you as Dave, this picture shows why it's been hard for me....now I got a new one......

Thanks Frank, I agree with the area you spoke of, but you know, my view within PhotoShop doesn't have that impact. I have had/seen this issue here and elsewhere previously, but this is one that I should have obviously caught.

Not to worry with the name calling Frank, I'll most likely answer to anything !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:26 pm
Marvelous transformation, Dave. My nit-pick would be that the white clouds are a touch too bright and distract from the mood. But I always have trouble with the whites. Matt

Matt, I agree the clouds are in need of toning down. Your issue with whites doesn't apply here. Thanks for the observation.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:41 pm
davechinn wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Dave
What a cool project! Well done. But I confess I would have been more taken in by it if I hadn't seen the first version, so now it seems you are not cheerful enough to replace the other smiling fellow whose face was once on those shoulders.

Thanks Minnie !!! I understand and will have to agree, more impact if the first version came after this one. That's what happens with "after thoughts". It never occurred for me to make the attempt. It was more out of experimentation or to just see if I could even do it. The results to my eye were acceptable so I thought I would throw it out there to see if it would stick. Altho, I'm beginning to see it slip away.

Absolutely, the guy in New Orleans was a much better fit for this composite. I have since made a B&W conversion and that's when the idea came about to switching faces.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks Minnie !!! I understand and will have to agree, more impact if the first version came after this one. That's what happens with "after thoughts". It never occurred for me to make the attempt. It was more out of experimentation or to just see if I could even do it. The results to my eye were acceptable so I thought I would throw it out there to see if it would stick. Altho, I'm beginning to see it slip away.

Absolutely, the guy in New Orleans was a much better fit for this composite. I have since made a B&W conversion and that's when the idea came about to switching faces.
Dave
Wonder if making the face a little more in keeping with the other processing would help us make the transition? Some of the blur and other stuff you do?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:35 pm

That's a possibility Minnie, I may give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Minnie here is another version and probably the final one. A little different from the first with some corrections and a little vignette, which might be overbearing for some.
Attachments
Salty Dog2 B&W w.jpg

David Alan Harvey