People CritiqueVampires Can Be Seen At Dawn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Vampires Can Be Seen At Dawn

Post by minniev » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Dave and I found some of our most interesting and alarming characters as the sun rose each day, and the allnighters were preparing to go inside.

This one was the most startling of my captures, and I'm still not done with him. I can visualize him in a scary scene like some Piet creates (or did before he took up his acorn project). He is interesting in color, and b&w. I only got this one keeper of him. Hope Dave got more.

Critique on this one would be appreciated, and especially suggestions about what to do with him in some creative manner.
Attachments
vampires (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Absolutely, Minnie !!! A strange breed, along with his two followers. I have a couple I would like to post, but they are slightly out of focus. I'l have to see if I can make some acceptable improvements. This one is well composed and processed to my liking. Seems as though we may have encountered him on a couple of occasions, but can't say for sure.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:20 pm

there is tension here with him walking out of the frame, could be good or bad depending on your intentions.....the sky seems to take away from him, a crop down loosing the clear sky might help or just replace it...while there seems to be a bit of separation from the subject and background from a tonal standpoint I feel the background quite busy.....I know I know it is a street shot...so I concur with you idea of just cutting him out and doing something creative but not sure I have any of those bones in my body........

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:53 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:31 pm
Absolutely, Minnie !!! A strange breed, along with his two followers. I have a couple I would like to post, but they are slightly out of focus. I'l have to see if I can make some acceptable improvements. This one is well composed and processed to my liking. Seems as though we may have encountered him on a couple of occasions, but can't say for sure.
Dave
Eager to see what you get. I think there’s other ways I’ll try this one. I already tried a color version with grungy faded color treatment and didn’t like it. The creepiest part was that brand on his stomach that was not a tattoo but burned on.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:20 pm
there is tension here with him walking out of the frame, could be good or bad depending on your intentions.....the sky seems to take away from him, a crop down loosing the clear sky might help or just replace it...while there seems to be a bit of separation from the subject and background from a tonal standpoint I feel the background quite busy.....I know I know it is a street shot...so I concur with you idea of just cutting him out and doing something creative but not sure I have any of those bones in my body........
I know, there weren’t any real intentions, I’d been trying to get this guy all morning, and he is not the friendliest person on the street. This was my only chance. He travels with a pack of minions and he is the clear Lord Of the Pack. So whatever I do with him will be my invention. If you think of something let me know. Where is Piet when you need him?

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:05 am

This is Awesome - you will figure out what else to do with him, but yeah, the world has changed and stayed the same. With his cape and character he needs a dangerous place to be - a dark alley or a gothic church. Did he show off for you or does he always strut like that? - he would make an excellent rooster!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:33 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:05 am
This is Awesome - you will figure out what else to do with him, but yeah, the world has changed and stayed the same. With his cape and character he needs a dangerous place to be - a dark alley or a gothic church. Did he show off for you or does he always strut like that? - he would make an excellent rooster!
No, he didn’t catch me taking his picture. He had snarled at me earlier when I tried so I was skulking around as he strode through the crowd of sad characters in the area where the homeless spend the night, right outside the cathedral. This was his presentation to his crowd, a sort of dark lord of the down and out.

I do have some old medieval Scottish churches I could look at for his home. I don’t really know how to conceptualize a setting for him but I’ll tinker and see what comes.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm finally getting around to posting the versions I have of this very unusual threesome. My curiosity of them strolling along ever so mysteriously in the early morning hours gives me the impression of a previous long night of a hard social gathering and unique entertainment. He snarled at me as well Minnie, since I ignored his requests while I moved along out of his reach.

The two images of the threesome are slightly out of focus, but I thought that the images were interesting enough to post, especially the second one. The female in the center must have spotted me and was giving me a hand gesture that I have seen previously, but have no clue to it's meaning. I did make an attempt to improve as best as possible, but on a scale of 0-10, I would give it a 4.
Attachments
Vamires DEC_0705w B&W.jpg
Vampires DEC_0706w B&W.jpg
Vampire at Dawn DEC_0753w B&W.jpg
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:29 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:48 pm
I'm finally getting around to posting the versions I have of this very unusual threesome. My curiosity of them strolling along ever so mysteriously in the early morning hours gives me the impression of a previous long night of a hard social gathering and unique entertainment. He snarled at me as well Minnie, since I ignored his requests while I moved along out of his reach.

The two images of the threesome are slightly out of focus, but I thought that the images were interesting enough to post, especially the second one. The female in the center must have spotted me and was giving me a hand gesture that I have seen previously, but have no clue to it's meaning. I did make an attempt to improve as best as possible, but on a scale of 0-10, I would give it a 4.
These are great! I didn't get the trio in their traveling row, I'm jealous. Your solo of Dracula alone is very cool too. I have to try some other processing approaches with mine, to see if something more eerie can be more effective. I don't feel I've yet done him justice.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 am

davechinn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:48 pm

I was wrong. I did have the group as a trio. I have an almost exact duplicate of the middle shot with the strange gesture, though of course I processed it differently and mine don't look as spooky. Here is one I took just seconds later after that shot, and when you realize what she has in her mouth is a hypodermic syringe, I'm wondering if there is some connection between the gesture and that.
Attachments
vampires (1 of 1).jpg