People CritiqueNew Orleans Ladies #4 - A Hospital Bracelet

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

New Orleans Ladies #4 - A Hospital Bracelet

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:03 pm

The bracelet tells us she's had some help for something fairly recently, but she looked like she might need more more than that. I don't do heavy grunge processing but this subject seemed like a fit one to practice a light version on. All suggestions welcome.
Attachments
ladies5 (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 pm

appears to me you need no more practice....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm

good street photo Min. My take from this (like your Dam Birds from way back) is that you raise our awareness of what is happening around us. You don't see this on the news, things are not good. Could be rough times, could be the price we pay for opiates abuse and greed, could be mental health, or a devastating past, could be an number of things, but for sure, all is not shiny and bright in this world we live in.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 pm
appears to me you need no more practice....
Thanks - for a first effort, I know there are nits to pick. And I don't know how far to go with this technique. The processing is all PS so I can mask anything down or all the way out. When I looked at this shot, I was struck by how truly awful she looked. When I shot it I wasn't even sure if this was a man or a woman, really didn't know till I got home. I did not make her look worse I don't think but tried to emphasize the plight she and others find themselves in.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm
good street photo Min. My take from this (like your Dam Birds from way back) is that you raise our awareness of what is happening around us. You don't see this on the news, things are not good. Could be rough times, could be the price we pay for opiates abuse and greed, could be mental health, or a devastating past, could be an number of things, but for sure, all is not shiny and bright in this world we live in.
Thanks Piet. In the cities we see people we don't see in the smaller communities, and I'm always struck by their visual stories, or what I imagine those stories to be. Everyone of us started out as somebody's kid. and from there we diverge. The winds of fate and choice can take us anywhere.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:31 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:03 pm
The bracelet tells us she's had some help for something fairly recently, but she looked like she might need more more than that. I don't do heavy grunge processing but this subject seemed like a fit one to practice a light version on. All suggestions welcome.

This is one I missed Minnie. I think your first attempt (if it is your first) at grunge turned out fairly well. I'm not sure if I would have left it partial color, but it did seem to work. I've tried this procedure for experimental purposes and there have been times I didn't care for the process. She is an interesting character and good find on your part. Your choice of grunge was the way to go, IMO.

I do often think about the well being of some of the street individuals I come across, but I may have become numb to most, after witnessing certain incidents since my journey of the past four years. It is a mystery and interesting to what may be around the next corner.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:31 pm

This is one I missed Minnie. I think your first attempt (if it is your first) at grunge turned out fairly well. I'm not sure if I would have left it partial color, but it did seem to work. I've tried this procedure for experimental purposes and there have been times I didn't care for the process. She is an interesting character and good find on your part. Your choice of grunge was the way to go, IMO.

I do often think about the well being of some of the street individuals I come across, but I may have become numb to most, after witnessing certain incidents since my journey of the past four years. It is a mystery and interesting to what may be around the next corner.
Dave
This is a shot I got the day we all left, on the way to breakfast. The eyes grabbed me, and that's why I decided to experiment with a grunge look. It's a common "look" that I don't suspect I'll do lots with, but if I run into another character like this, maybe...so it's good to know how.

I agree with you about the mystery. I feel for many of our street friends because my overactive imagination comes up with so many stories to explain why. But I also respect their right to make the choices they make. They are just people, and I have sought out interesting people since the first day I picked up a camera.