Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 'Tugboat Captain'

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:31 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 pm
super scruffy in a tugboat kind of way. Perfect fit for his cap. The scratches on the first adds to the rough feeling. The second image with the tug is awesome and I prefer it for the story it tells, but don't hold back on that one, it is too clean, too refined. It needs a greater feeling of dinge and danger.
I would normally agree with Piet, but in this case my photo assessment is clouded by my knowledge of the subject, who by all appearances is a homeless alcoholic beggar who has somehow acquired an interesting hat. Dave has now given him an identity he would probably be proud of, a picture of who he might have been in happier, healthier, more prosperous days. It gave me goosebumps to see him transformed. So I kinda like him having his day in the light!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:31 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
super scruffy in a tugboat kind of way. Perfect fit for his cap. The scratches on the first adds to the rough feeling. The second image with the tug is awesome and I prefer it for the story it tells, but don't hold back on that one, it is too clean, too refined. It needs a greater feeling of dinge and danger.
I would normally agree with Piet, but in this case my photo assessment is clouded by my knowledge of the subject, who by all appearances is a homeless alcoholic beggar who has somehow acquired an interesting hat. Dave has now given him an identity he would probably be proud of, a picture of who he might have been in happier, healthier, more prosperous days. It gave me goosebumps to see him transformed. So I kinda like him having his day in the light!
I thought that might have been the case, but also was thinking that if so, his teeth seemed to be in pretty good condition - that is a bright and cheerful smile that he pulled out for someone completely under. Give me three days and I look worse than him!

edit - I remember working in the Washington DC area, and there were some beggars who did very well, with homes in Florida. It produced a certain scandal that left the true homeless even more destitute than they were before.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 pm

sure you need 3 days.......Bahahaha

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 pm
sure you need 3 days.......Bahahaha
Well, maybe two.. I clean up nice, when I can find the clothes...

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:52 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:31 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
I thought that might have been the case, but also was thinking that if so, his teeth seemed to be in pretty good condition - that is a bright and cheerful smile that he pulled out for someone completely under. Give me three days and I look worse than him!

edit - I remember working in the Washington DC area, and there were some beggars who did very well, with homes in Florida. It produced a certain scandal that left the true homeless even more destitute than they were before.
Last year when we photographed him, he had no teeth at all! So somewhere along the way he has acquired a full set and has managed to hang onto them! And definitely looks better with them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:12 am

PietFrancke wrote:

Thanks Piet, I appreciate your input and actually had full intentions to process the composite in similar terms as the B&W portrait, but got to a point in the processing I decided against it because of self satisfaction. I may still make an attempt at your suggestion for experimentation purposes. Always looking for different ways without rules or ones to be broken, Rebel kinda way?
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am

Dave, the first is overdone for me, the second is a masterpiece. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am
Dave, the first is overdone for me, the second is a masterpiece. Matt

Thanks Matt and sorry I haven't responded earlier, an oversight unintended. The first photo has a scratch/dust layer applied to enhance a more of an older style image, but I do understand, some won't/don't like the style.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey