"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

People CritiqueAn oldie from a while ago...

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

An oldie from a while ago...

Post by Onslow » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:19 am

Been a couple of yrs since I captured this image... Any thoughts or CC welcome...
IMG_4047-Master.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

I don’t do portraits or studio work, so my critique isn’t worth much, but it looks pretty near perfectly executed to me, good use of lighting, nice color, good handling of skin so that it’s smooth but not plastic. It would be hard to find anything to fuss about (I admit lip piercings sort of creep me out, but it’s well handled). The only thing I’d do if I were working on it (which would be a stretch, admittedly), would be to correct the two tiny spots on the far eyelid (eyelash glue?). Others with more experience in portraits and their lighting and editing can surely offer more meaningful responses. Nice image, for sure. Thanks for sharing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am

Opinions of a hobbyist Onslow...I find the image very well done, presenting a look I'm sure you intended...a minor technicality as Ps acr shows some highlight clipping, (left background and roses) I however can see no loss of detail and find no change by reducing the highlights so basically a mute point....the only thing I might suggest would be to eliminate the shadow above the rose and leaf by her face, I realize it could be from another light source but it just doesn't seem right to me as all the other shadows seem to indicate an upper right light source.....not a deal breaker by any means and looking forward to seeing more of your work here...

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am
I don’t do portraits or studio work, so my critique isn’t worth much, but it looks pretty near perfectly executed to me, good use of lighting, nice color, good handling of skin so that it’s smooth but not plastic. It would be hard to find anything to fuss about (I admit lip piercings sort of creep me out, but it’s well handled). The only thing I’d do if I were working on it (which would be a stretch, admittedly), would be to correct the two tiny spots on the far eyelid (eyelash glue?). Others with more experience in portraits and their lighting and editing can surely offer more meaningful responses. Nice image, for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers for that, re the two spots, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Here is a 100% view of the eyes...
Clipboard01.jpg

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am
Opinions of a hobbyist Onslow...I find the image very well done, presenting a look I'm sure you intended...a minor technicality as Ps acr shows some highlight clipping, (left background and roses) I however can see no loss of detail and find no change by reducing the highlights so basically a mute point....the only thing I might suggest would be to eliminate the shadow above the rose and leaf by her face, I realize it could be from another light source but it just doesn't seem right to me as all the other shadows seem to indicate an upper right light source.....not a deal breaker by any means and looking forward to seeing more of your work here...
Thanks for that. The PSD shows no clipping of highlights. The conversion to jpg on download may alter that though. I've attached a grab showing the histogram and the luminosity of the area you describe. The Lab luminosity reading gets to 96% at the brightest areas of the roses. Re the background luminosity,

Re the shadow, the lighting was a 3 light setup. A snoot was placed on the background with a main light being a gridded beauty dish above and slightly camera right pointing down to her providing the main face illumination. The 3rd light source was below and slightly camera right pointing to her with a bare beauty dish. This provided fill for shadows to reduce their depth. The shadow you refer to to me provides a sense of depth in the image. Without it, there would I feel be a sense of discontinuity in the lighting.
I have no issue with shadows, blocked shadows or blown highlights in my work if I feel they add to the image.... :)
Clipboard01.jpg
The pointer was on the rose at the brightest area near the bottom left.
Clipboard02.jpg
This has the Luminosity at 94% in Lab. This was picked from the area above and to the left of the rose at the rear...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:57 am

You are welcome..here's a screen grab from Ps ACR...
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 6.26.53 AM.png
as I said I found no loss of detail...the other light sources were well handled and I'm sure you presented the image as desired...You did ask for thoughts and would be doing you a dis-service to not point out things I notice..I feel depth from all the other shadows on the shoulder and under her chin and is just an opinion to be considered as you see fit..regardless of my thoughts there is no denying it is a good image.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Onslow wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 am
minniev wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am
Cheers for that, re the two spots, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Here is a 100% view of the eyes...
Clipboard01.jpg
I hope you don't mind my posting an explanatory clip with the tiny "spots" circled, I don't know how to describe it where it would be clear. I admit I was pixel peeping :) which I am guilty of with my own images, especially since I have to enlarge a lot to get big prints.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (66.14 KiB) Viewed 29 times
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones