Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Ferry Folk - Nanaimo to Tsawwassen

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:09 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:15 am
Minnie, I found it hard to read this photo initially. It took some few seconds to realize there was a body in what I first thought was a Hells Angels backpack. The black hat merged with the shirt of the man above and it took time to separate. Also, the reflections distract me with the rail running through the tattooed man. I was trying to figure out which plane the different elements were on rather that enjoying the content of the photo. As a general observation -- which harkens back to a self-critique you made of one of your Scotland images -- this is from your Kitchen Sink Collection. But you are generous to post it and brave to track Ernst. Matt
I love to experiment with reflections, so when I found myself without a polarizer to fight them off, I just played with them to see what I could do. While Ernst is my inspiration for Ferry shots, my inspiration for shots that include confounding reflections will ever be Jim Hill, a master magician of such things which are more visual puzzle than pleasant viewing. Thanks for explaining why they don't always work!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Minnie;
Don't forget that Ernst is a master of " keep it simple stupid " or KISS as it is usually known as.
Exercise??
Take one item, place near a window, or outside, early or late in the day and play with the shadows.
Above all have fun;
ed davis

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:23 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:09 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:15 am
Minnie, I found it hard to read this photo initially. It took some few seconds to realize there was a body in what I first thought was a Hells Angels backpack. The black hat merged with the shirt of the man above and it took time to separate. Also, the reflections distract me with the rail running through the tattooed man. I was trying to figure out which plane the different elements were on rather that enjoying the content of the photo. As a general observation -- which harkens back to a self-critique you made of one of your Scotland images -- this is from your Kitchen Sink Collection. But you are generous to post it and brave to track Ernst. Matt
I love to experiment with reflections, so when I found myself without a polarizer to fight them off, I just played with them to see what I could do. While Ernst is my inspiration for Ferry shots, my inspiration for shots that include confounding reflections will ever be Jim Hill, a master magician of such things which are more visual puzzle than pleasant viewing. Thanks for explaining why they don't always work!
Visual puzzle: yes indeed. And I found some satisfaction in puzzling it out. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:10 pm

pop511 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm
Minnie;
Don't forget that Ernst is a master of " keep it simple stupid " or KISS as it is usually known as.
Exercise??
Take one item, place near a window, or outside, early or late in the day and play with the shadows.
Above all have fun;
I did just that for my this week's addition to my 52 project, since my topic was "minimalism". And it is fun for a brief moment. But I go right back to what comes natural to me, the Kitchen Sink School.

I got into a discussion with a couple of photography friends about what artists our photography styles might be derived from. The Aussie claimed mine was a mix of Bruegel and Grandma Moses.

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:26 am

Trust an Aussie to get into the middle of a fight...
Since that last post of mine "KISS". Been thinking about your style and explanation.
I thought wouldn't it be fun to pull heaps of graphics of differing items and make some sense of it.
Or, in other words. Turn myself around and go in another direction. I know within me it will be just an exercise, but just think of the possibilities!!
Have fun;
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:25 pm

pop511 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:26 am
Trust an Aussie to get into the middle of a fight...
Since that last post of mine "KISS". Been thinking about your style and explanation.
I thought wouldn't it be fun to pull heaps of graphics of differing items and make some sense of it.
Or, in other words. Turn myself around and go in another direction. I know within me it will be just an exercise, but just think of the possibilities!!
Have fun;
That pulling together of a collection of items is what this course I'm in calls Fingerwork, to borrow a phrase from piano practice. They suggest we create one such project (including elements of photography, graphics, texture and text) every day to practice skills even if we are not working on a " :) masterpiece :)" So I've been posting some of my mini-projects as I go. I haven't got smart enough for a masterpiece yet! It's been fun, and some of them have turned out better than I expected.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Here's one I can relate to !!! The four all in their own world of some sort. I wouldn't want to be in the same world as your main subjects, but they are interesting and appear to be tired or anticipating the next move once the ferry docks. Street at it's best on a ferry. Love it Minnie, even the reflection.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 pm

"and some of them have turned out better than I expected."
Good one Minnie;

Want to tear your hair out? Try playing two different modal scales at the same time...
Have fun;
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:19 pm
Here's one I can relate to !!! The four all in their own world of some sort. I wouldn't want to be in the same world as your main subjects, but they are interesting and appear to be tired or anticipating the next move once the ferry docks. Street at it's best on a ferry. Love it Minnie, even the reflection.
Dave
Thanks Dave. Yes, it was around 9:30 PM so end of day, and everyone on the ferry was tired, many headed home after vacation. I did a whole series of ferry folk but this was the most interesting of the lot.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 am

minniev wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:20 pm
Just my humble attempt to find photos on a ferry, inspired by Ernst who is without equal in ferry photography.
It looks like he's getting news from his boss and it isn't good. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"