People Critique'End of the Innocence'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'End of the Innocence'

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:48 pm

I have applied a variety of layers, texture, blur along with dodging and burning. Just curious how this image would be interpreted? Success or failure? By making attempts to mix up processing styles can and is a struggle, only because of my indecisiveness.
Dave
Attachments
End of the Innocence DEC_4809w B&W.jpg
'End of the Innocence'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 pm

I think there is potential here - perhaps crop or else do something else with the blackboard. The glimmer glow effect (or whatever we can call the fogginess) isn't working for me fully - I think it lit the chair up too much. And here is the problem perhaps, the girl should be more the subject, but the water bottle, chair, and cup get too much attention.

Also, I am not seeing "end of innocence" that much which makes me wonder what it is that draws us there - is it an aging? a tattoo? sunglasses? light dress? or all those things wrapped together? But I'm just seeing a modern girl searching her purse.

I think you raise a valid point about mixing up styles - it feels a little street, a little portrait, a little abstract (with the lines from the chair and countertop), and a little still life with the arrangement of the objects. And in this case a bunch of little things just isn't adding up exponentially - almost a lack of commitment to the theme -

from a composition point of view, I like it, with one exception, the light/brightness leaking out to the right. I think visually it might need some kind of blocking there to keep the eye on the page (I think anyway). Sorry for going on and on with the rambling, your talking about indecisiveness really struck a chord with where I often am.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Piet has summed it up rather well....

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm

We all pretend to be photogs, but in reality we are artists that continually explore our inner visions.
Love the finish. Maybe too many elements so that I don't know what it is I am supposed to be looking at, But the light falling on the chair is something.
How about another picture in the same style with just the chair in it?
Great work;
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Interesting “silky” processing. It seems to work for this image because of what it makes of that light coming from back of the chair. I do agree with those who feel the blackboard is too evident, and a crop eliminating some of it might help us focus on the real magic of the image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 pm
I think there is potential here - perhaps crop or else do something else with the blackboard. The glimmer glow effect (or whatever we can call the fogginess) isn't working for me fully - I think it lit the chair up too much. And here is the problem perhaps, the girl should be more the subject, but the water bottle, chair, and cup get too much attention.

Also, I am not seeing "end of innocence" that much which makes me wonder what it is that draws us there - is it an aging? a tattoo? sunglasses? light dress? or all those things wrapped together? But I'm just seeing a modern girl searching her purse.

I think you raise a valid point about mixing up styles - it feels a little street, a little portrait, a little abstract (with the lines from the chair and countertop), and a little still life with the arrangement of the objects. And in this case a bunch of little things just isn't adding up exponentially - almost a lack of commitment to the theme -

from a composition point of view, I like it, with one exception, the light/brightness leaking out to the right. I think visually it might need some kind of blocking there to keep the eye on the page (I think anyway). Sorry for going on and on with the rambling, your talking about indecisiveness really struck a chord with where I often am.

Thanks Piet, you have pin pointed some issues that maybe could have been avoided and I have somewhat accepted them. I do understand that the glow, slight blur doesn't work for some folks, and even some photos. It's just me making some adjustments within myself for experimentation to see what does and doesn't work. I appreciate your honesty which gives me an indication for improvements, if at all possible. I suppose you had to be there to receive the overall circumstances to understand where I was going with the title. Basically, it was due to all you mentioned. Her demeanor, making an attempt to read within ones body language from what it once was vs to what it is now. I don't expect everyone to see/feel it but that's where I was coming from. Her innocence have now come to an end based on what I felt at that time. All visual of course.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm
Piet has summed it up rather well....

Yes, better than I ever could !!!

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:30 pm

pop511 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm
We all pretend to be photogs, but in reality we are artists that continually explore our inner visions.
Love the finish. Maybe too many elements so that I don't know what it is I am supposed to be looking at, But the light falling on the chair is something.
How about another picture in the same style with just the chair in it?
Great work;

Absolutely Ed !!! Always exploring inner visions is a sign of growth in more ways than one. Never gave thought to another picture within this one, but by golly you may be right. I have had a case of tunnel vision and sometimes need a kick to refocus. Excellent idea. Thanks !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:33 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm
Interesting “silky” processing. It seems to work for this image because of what it makes of that light coming from back of the chair. I do agree with those who feel the blackboard is too evident, and a crop eliminating some of it might help us focus on the real magic of the image.

Thanks Minnie !!! The blackboard wasn't much of a concern to me, but maybe I need to go back to the drawing board and have another look ... seriously !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:21 am

"I have had a case of tunnel vision"
You're not unique in that. You can send some of that my way... :D :D
Let me know if you post a pic of the chair I want to see it
Kind regards;
ed davis