"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

People CritiqueSoccer

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Soccer

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 am

Spring soccer season has started...

Not so much looking for "atta boys” here in the critique section, but am not opposed by any means….As Duck mentioned sometime back, maybe a bit more from the OP on purpose of post….with that in mind I have tried to impart vibrance, energy, and separation of background with this presentation. So I guess the question would be, have I over/under done it and or succeeded with any of my goals…….I must confess to pushing this image pretty hard..
Attachments
20180428FGS_4006-Spring_Soccer.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 01, 2018 3:42 am

I like the bright colors, it gives a sense of action. Love your low POV, but worry that you will take a ball to the camera lens. I hope/assume you have a long lens here - LOL. Very cool you caught the one fellow up in the air, definitely a sense of motion and action. Power line and fence detract, perhaps fog the fence or blur it more or something (it is too shiny - I think anyway). The power line, paint it out..

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm

You've captured the vibrance and energy, and you got it with a sharply caught airborne kid with that intense expression. Those are always my favorites.

I'll give some feedback to work with though: the sharpening tools (and possibly the brightening of a shadowed face in that harsh light) have left you with too much noise. It's especially worrisome on the face, but it's also there on the clothing. I agree with Piet that the power line and fence are distracting. The boys' shoestrings have escaped the selection and create a little dissonance but that is picky. I am wondering if darkening the background (while blurring) might work better than brightening it. I'll take a run at it if you'll share a larger base file to work with. I have a thousand of these shots of my own and I never can get to where I want with them so it would be good practice for another soccer grandparent. (Night games are even worse, the best are those right before sunset, provided the field is angled to your benefit. And don't get me started on baseball with that darned metal fencing)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Thank you both for comment.....I'll get to work Piet..minniev I never even noticed the noise but you are right and I'll tend to it...mean while check your dropbox account...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:40 pm
Thank you both for comment.....I'll get to work Piet..minniev I never even noticed the noise but you are right and I'll tend to it...mean while check your dropbox account...
Here is what you need to do... scroll down and see the soccer image. https://graphicriver.net/item/sandstorm ... 2?s_rank=1

For the price of a beer, get that Action, and have fun with the soccer Action shots. If I was going to soccer games, I would have it just to put a grin on their little faces. (I might get the damn thing for fun with flying bird images).

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Quite the assortment...thank you Piet

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed May 02, 2018 12:31 am

A version with some of the grunge removed and another with minniev's darker background suggestion...both with Piet's distractions gone.....thanks everyone..
Attachments
20180428FGS_4006-Spring_Soccer2.jpg
20180428FGS_4006-Soccer2.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed May 02, 2018 12:56 am

I like em both, I like the second because for some reason it looks more Iconic. Good job Frank.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed May 02, 2018 1:28 am

The second one is my pick. Easier to look at, it lets the boys take my undivided attention. The first one suffers from what I call Stray Whites, tiny spots so pale they distract, usually in shots in harsh sun that reflects off light colors and some textures. They aren’t really noise but some kind of overluminance. Good job cutting to the chase!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Thank you both for final comment....

Edit: and finally for Piet...can't let him and Duck have all the fun!!!
Attachments
20180428FGS_4006-Soccer3_mixed_media.jpg