“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

People CritiqueStreet photo around Yale campus

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Street photo around Yale campus

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 am

Downtown New Haven is Yale Country. Every other building is most likely owned by them. In one little corner sits a famous venue called Toad's Place, a small, cramped little building that has hosted many famous musical acts in its heyday. Next to that building is an alleyway leading to a series of apartment dorms for Yale students. As you can see from the photo, it's quite an interesting piece of architecture. This image was taken some time ago and just recently I decided to revisit it. I went for a heavy handed atmospheric mood on this. Let me know if it works or if it loses something. (?)
Unitas_Photography-6830.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:19 am

it works for me, the light on the flagstone is wonderful (though for spooky, a smaller patch of it might serve).. The bright shirt is a nice counterpoint to the medieval stonework. This would be a cool place to see in another 400 years, after the flagstone and steps gets so that it doesn't look so clean!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:50 am

Duck wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 am
Downtown New Haven is Yale Country. Every other building is most likely owned by them. In one little corner sits a famous venue called Toad's Place, a small, cramped little building that has hosted many famous musical acts in its heyday. Next to that building is an alleyway leading to a series of apartment dorms for Yale students. As you can see from the photo, it's quite an interesting piece of architecture. This image was taken some time ago and just recently I decided to revisit it. I went for a heavy handed atmospheric mood on this. Let me know if it works or if it loses something. (?)

Unitas_Photography-6830.jpg
Depends on what you want. It is moody, mysterious, and conveys a sense of isolation and alone-ness in a rather stark setting. The lighting, whether natural or induced, is what makes it work.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:58 am

Cool! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the light is post processed and intended solely for the purpose of bringing attention to the lone figure and add a bit of mystery (of sorts) to the scene.

I'd love to go back to that spot with an actual image in mind (model, wardrobe, etc.) but I don't know what yet.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:18 am

Yale is my favorite of the Ivies; this doesn't look at all like it belongs to the university. So it is a welcome view of how the school has evolved; someone has allowed a departure from their architecture and I am sure the faculty ranted when this went up. For me, the mood captures more of a British or Scottish university; somber, brooding, withdrawn. The solitary figure adds to the sense of isolation and remove. I also think the spot of light is too dominant. Wish I had taken this. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:19 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:18 am
Yale is my favorite of the Ivies; this doesn't look at all like it belongs to the university. So it is a welcome view of how the school has evolved; someone has allowed a departure from their architecture and I am sure the faculty ranted when this went up. For me, the mood captures more of a British or Scottish university; somber, brooding, withdrawn. The solitary figure adds to the sense of isolation and remove. I also think the spot of light is too dominant. Wish I had taken this. Matt
Thanks Matt. This is a departure from the more typical "Yale look". I am enclosing a write up from Yale's Visitor Center website;

visitorcenter.yale.edu/architecture wrote: Morse and Ezra Stiles Colleges, 1962
Eero Saarinen (1910-1961, B.F.A. 1934, M.A., Honorary, 1949)
Eero Saarinen remarked during the construction of Stiles and Morse Colleges that he had embarked “on unchartered waters” in his design. In many ways, this is true: The coarse walls of a poured concrete-and-stone mixture with thin strips of vertical windows and the complex’s overall massing and layout (there are no right angles) are indeed unique. What is most splendid about Stiles and Morse, however, is that despite their idiosyncratic modernity they are nonetheless in harmony with the rest of campus, with two towers that establish strong ties to the nearby Payne Whitney Gymnasium and Hall of Graduate Studies, and a winding alley between the two colleges that at once calls to mind the streets of Italian hill towns such as San Gimignano and the intimate courtyards of James Gamble Rogers’s residential colleges of the 1920s.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 am

One aspect of Yale that appeals to me is that its walls contain the main campus. The other Ivies lack that, especially Harvard and Penn. The walls in the visitor write-up carry on that theme and modernize it. With apologies, it also resembles the Wailing Wall; I would imagine a lot of that goes on there, too. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:07 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 am
With apologies, it also resembles the Wailing Wall; I would imagine a lot of that goes on there, too. Thanks. Matt
Only around test time. :lol:

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 pm

I think it's wonderful as is. Everyone else has said what I would'a said if I'd'a said it.

An aside: I used to be a regular reader of Ann Landers' advice column, and she had an ongoing mostly amusing tug-of-war going for many years with the Yalies, mostly frats, that would make up bizarre scenarios and try to make her believe they were real. In her early days she was fooled a few times, but as she quickly became skilled and skeptical she learned to watch for the New Haven postmark, and often wrote about it, which is how I know. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 pm
I think it's wonderful as is. Everyone else has said what I would'a said if I'd'a said it.

An aside: I used to be a regular reader of Ann Landers' advice column, and she had an ongoing mostly amusing tug-of-war going for many years with the Yalies, mostly frats, that would make up bizarre scenarios and try to make her believe they were real. In her early days she was fooled a few times, but as she quickly became skilled and skeptical she learned to watch for the New Haven postmark, and often wrote about it, which is how I know. :D
Great little backstory. I love info like this. Thanks for sharing.