"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

People CritiqueFree headshots for building tenants

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Free headshots for building tenants

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Excellent! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Looking good Duck! And great idea for marketing your photography and making it a win win for everyone.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 pm

I received a private message from Frank (PSJunkie) in regards to the headshot images I posted here. Frank, I hope you don't get offended with me sharing as it furthers the conversation on these portraits in this critique section and feel others may benefit from this conversation as well. I don't claim to know it all and I definitely am open to learning.

Here is the message...
Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 pm
Duck you have some good shots here without question...wanted to give you some things to think about so retouched one of your images a bit...when giving work away you might consider going above and beyond the call since you are trying to drum up business....I am by no means saying your work is crappy (wished I had just one gene of your talent) just trying make a point....if you give away crappy work that's the impression people will get of your work and are less likely to refer you...if you exceed their expectations they will not shut up about your greatness.......hope you know I am sincere in my efforts to try and help as I feel you are when commenting on my stuff.

Sincerely,
Frank
... and here is the reworked image he sent me.
Reworked by PSJunkie.jpg
I see the lightening overall and the softening of the skin. As I am delving into new territory with headshots my feeling is not to deviate too far from how a person looks. I don't consider these glamour or fashion shots so I did not do much other than some color correction without making them look too washed out or pasty. Of course the question is how far to go, without a lot of trial and error.

Another aspect was in trying to conserve retouching time. In total I have to retouch about two dozen images. (Yes I overextended myself.)
That said, I am open to the discussion and any practical examples or experience.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am

Well Duck, I am probably the least knowledgeable here about any of this. While I agree about these not being glamour shots I feel as promotional images it doesn’t hurt to deviate just a touch….and who’s touch is too much is anyone’s call. I am glad you mention "Another aspect was in trying to conserve retouching time. In total I have to retouch about two dozen images. (Yes I overextended myself.)” as that speaks exactly to my point of going beyond the call especially when giving something away…you want these folks to feel like these are the best photos of themselves they’ve ever seen….how much retouch is a conversation to be had between you and them..I just wanted to impress on you that just because you are giving it away you shouldn’t put any less effort into it than you would for a paid piece of work….and I know full well you are capable of doing a much better job of what I did had you felt so inclined...

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am
Well Duck, I am probably the least knowledgeable here about any of this. While I agree about these not being glamour shots I feel as promotional images it doesn’t hurt to deviate just a touch….and who’s touch is too much is anyone’s call. I am glad you mention "Another aspect was in trying to conserve retouching time. In total I have to retouch about two dozen images. (Yes I overextended myself.)” as that speaks exactly to my point of going beyond the call especially when giving something away…you want these folks to feel like these are the best photos of themselves they’ve ever seen….how much retouch is a conversation to be had between you and them..I just wanted to impress on you that just because you are giving it away you shouldn’t put any less effort into it than you would for a paid piece of work….and I know full well you are capable of doing a much better job of what I did had you felt so inclined...
Hey Frank, when it comes to portraits I definitely hold the title as Least Knowledgeable!

I like Frank's edits though I probably wouldn't have gone quite this far mainly because I'm not that good at it. I do agree with Frank that my giveaway work ought to be as good as anything else I do. I do some touch up even of candids that I shoot for my friend's restaurant facebook page. I touch up snapshots of my daughter in laws mother before posting them to FB. Why? I dunno. People, and most especially women, want to look good. I don't do stuff like real portraitists do or use specialty software where everybody ends up looking like Barbie, but I do soften wrinkles, clear some blemishes, mitigate dark circles under the eyes, even out skin issues a little. Probably nothing that takes more than 5-10 minutes.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:18 am

I agree, free or not it should hold to the same standards. My problem is i have not quite set that standard for myself. Keep in mind, this is new territory I am entering. Sure, i've stuck my toe in previously, now I'm going in to my knees. You can say I'm still testing the waters.

I do like what was done, but I feel it's probably too much (in my head) for a headshot. Again, I am feeling it out as I find that comfort spot in style and workflow.

I do like the conversations though.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:52 am

Duck wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:18 am
I agree, free or not it should hold to the same standards. My problem is i have not quite set that standard for myself. Keep in mind, this is new territory I am entering. Sure, i've stuck my toe in previously, now I'm going in to my knees. You can say I'm still testing the waters.

I do like what was done, but I feel it's probably too much (in my head) for a headshot. Again, I am feeling it out as I find that comfort spot in style and workflow.

I do like the conversations though.
Yes I agree, too much no question....I was just trying to make a point more about the free work more than the actual specifics of the pp...I sometimes (most times) don't communicate well....just remember once your work gets out it's out so make sure you are pleased with it.....

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:10 am

Excellent idea, Duck. For one that acknowledges no or less experience with portraits can be debatable. The first thing I noticed was the lighting. The catchlights are all positioned at 1:00, which I have always been told that 11:00 or 1:00 is the proper lighting height and position.

I do see in Mark's portrait some Rembrandt Lighting. You may already know the various lighting techniques and catchlight positioning, but I'll post a link for maybe someone that doesn't know and wants to learn. https://contrastly.com/catchlight-tutorial/
https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... ould-know/

I also noticed the color balance on Stephanie's seemed off and a little on the red side, which you have since made the correction with the color balance. Also the background on hers was different in color as well from the others. I can only assume you used the same background with all of the portraits, but maybe used a different hair/background light?

All in all, very nice portraits with a great marketing strategy. Something I could personally learn from.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:19 am

I'm moving in so I can get my headshot, what times do you have available? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:52 am

davechinn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:10 am
Excellent idea, Duck. For one that acknowledges no or less experience with portraits can be debatable. The first thing I noticed was the lighting. The catchlights are all positioned at 1:00, which I have always been told that 11:00 or 1:00 is the proper lighting height and position.

I do see in Mark's portrait some Rembrandt Lighting. You may already know the various lighting techniques and catchlight positioning, but I'll post a link for maybe someone that doesn't know and wants to learn. https://contrastly.com/catchlight-tutorial/
https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... ould-know/

I also noticed the color balance on Stephanie's seemed off and a little on the red side, which you have since made the correction with the color balance. Also the background on hers was different in color as well from the others. I can only assume you used the same background with all of the portraits, but maybe used a different hair/background light?

All in all, very nice portraits with a great marketing strategy. Something I could personally learn from.
Dave
Thank you for the interest, Dave. I am familiar with the various lighting configuration but I'll be honest and say that for headshots like these I really don't bother trying to attain any specific style. Perhaps if i was going for a very specific lighting look, then yes, I'd take greater care.

As for the color cast, i agree. Believe it or not, this was toned down a lot, hence the color shift noticed in the background.