Attachments
China White.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Though I'm not a portraitist and can't give you true critical feedback I'll say that this is a powerful image. The eyes are spellbinding and magnetic, the black background works very well, and the slight rim of clothing and beard make perfect minimalist framing for the face. The reflection in the eyes tells its own story of the sunnier side of the street, and of the photographer.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 pm

thanks for commenting
shine

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:30 pm

Well composed and processed Shine......no comment for improvement

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 am

Captivating! Powerful! Strong! Engaging! And everything Minnie said! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 am

I will be a little harder with my critique on this one (I think you can take it :) )

First off, I am a fan of this heavy low key "grunge" processing. It fits your ongoing theme well. In this particular image I feel there is a sense of loss of depth. Imagine a bass relief engraving, like the wood or stone carved façades in churches. While they show each element in three dimensions they are represented in shallow relief. That three dimension gets flattened out along the viewing plane. This is the feeling I get from this image.

I think part is due to the compressed nature of the shadow areas but I feel the shallow focus on the nose adds to this compression. Almost like you applied an emboss filter on the image.

To be honest, I can't really offer any real solution because I don't know what you started with. It could be the original image had flat lighting or the opposite, hard contrast light. Wish I could be more helpful in offering a solution and I apologize for that. However, maybe adding sharper skin texture to the nose may be of benefit, but I guess here.

Anyhow, it is a strong image and the eyes really do catch the viewer. Keep up the good work.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 am
I will be a little harder with my critique on this one (I think you can take it :) )

First off, I am a fan of this heavy low key "grunge" processing. It fits your ongoing theme well. In this particular image I feel there is a sense of loss of depth. Imagine a bass relief engraving, like the wood or stone carved façades in churches. While they show each element in three dimensions they are represented in shallow relief. That three dimension gets flattened out along the viewing plane. This is the feeling I get from this image.

I think part is due to the compressed nature of the shadow areas but I feel the shallow focus on the nose adds to this compression. Almost like you applied an emboss filter on the image.

To be honest, I can't really offer any real solution because I don't know what you started with. It could be the original image had flat lighting or the opposite, hard contrast light. Wish I could be more helpful in offering a solution and I apologize for that. However, maybe adding sharper skin texture to the nose may be of benefit, but I guess here.

Anyhow, it is a strong image and the eyes really do catch the viewer. Keep up the good work.
hi Duck...
thanks for that!.....i take on board what you have said and I will revisit the original to see if the base is flat or its a problem with my editing......if i can, i will repair and repost, if not i will post the original for your interest.
shine

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Shine, You have captured a tough life hard lived. Grit. Determination. Seen it all sorrow. Been down and down and down. Don't get any downer. Very well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 pm
Duck wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 am

hi Duck...
thanks for that!.....i take on board what you have said and I will revisit the original to see if the base is flat or its a problem with my editing......if i can, i will repair and repost, if not i will post the original for your interest.
shine
Try This!
Attachments
China White2.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:28 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:39 pm
Try This!
I think it's his nose. It seems a little out of focus in the original, as it should be, but in the processed version it's sharp, and it's not how we actually see people. The second is good, more than I'd hope for, and technically correct, but I think it's the ever so slightly out of focus area that gives the image the depth you are looking for. I hope this helps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"