"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

People CritiqueThrough an Open Gate

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Through an Open Gate

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:25 pm

I am posting this here and in my Project 52 section since I can't realize the full potential on my own and want to move farther with this one. I had spent time beforehand contemplating the photo and framing it in my mind, knowing that I wanted to find a way of taking Minnie's suggestion on an earlier posting of this cemetery of keeping the gate and its details in focus. I couldn't spend much time framing and shooting on scene because the cemetery is on the side of a busy state highway but with intervening moments with nothing coming either way. No time for a tripod, though; just a quick frame and shoot then a quick dodge to the edge of the road. I have looked at this for two days and thought about it but only today fiddled with it in Lightroom and SEP2. All thoughts and suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

Matt
photoMentoris-131.jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 am

If the gate is a focus here Matt, you might try bringing up the mid tones or shadows..there is a lot of detail hidden there...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 am

Thanks Frank. That's what I need. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Graham Smith
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by Graham Smith » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 pm

I think Frank is correct when he says that you need to bring out more detail in the ironwork. I find it difficult to know what to look at in the picture but I find my eye drawn to everything above and including the top horizontal rail of the gate, the silhouetted trees are great. The cemetery doesn't make a great background to show off the details of the gates, it's too busy, perhaps less DOF to blur it a little?
Graham

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks, Graham. That's the kind of reaction I need. I will go back and try again. For some reason, this composition/scene is important to me. Not the pearly gates, surely, nor the other ones. Matt
Matt Quinn

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Matt, I have to agree with Frank and Graham. I personally find cemeteries difficult to photograph, basically because most always look the same other than the name. However, it does force us into the creative aspect to composition, but still difficult to capture something unique, which I would think our goal would be. I'm not saying this a bad image, I just find cemeteries to be a depressing and gloomy as shown here, but something is missing. A different perspective, maybe? Not sure. Just my take on this image.
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks Dave. I think something is missing, too, and that's why I asked for help. I will try the advice and see where it goes. If it goes nowhere, I guess I shouldn't waste more time. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:31 pm

You've already got some good feedback from others about this one, but I'll throw in too since I do like to shoot cemeteries and I often can't figure out what to do with them once shot! It is hard to capture what makes them special. Even the most amazing cemeteries I've ever seen come up short in the camera.

In this one, the thing that captures my eye is that brighter rock path that forms too strong a leading line to ignore, right down the middle, but the place it goes is a flagpole, which doesn't seem strong enough to warrant all that emphasis, especially with the flag hanging down. If it were a larger flag, blowing out in a strong wind, maybe, but I'm not sure even then. If that is your subject, you may need to get closer, try color, wait for wind. If the flag isn't your subject then think about what is: the cemetery as a whole? If so, maybe push the gates open and try another angle.The gates? Try brightening the shadows and increasing the clarity, and using a shallower DOF to throw the details of the stones and markers out of focus some. Whichever, it'll take some dodging and burning to focus attention where you decide you want it to be, and fight off the strength of that bright paved path.

This is a GREAT challenge, and if it's close by you can work it till you find the key!!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks, Minnie. The gates are what interest me with the gravestones as background to indicate the scene. It' about 30 min away,so I will continue to play till I get the aha!. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:44 pm

It's silly, but my only concern is the image feels like it's leaning left. I thought it was the background at first and even leveled it against the top-left part of the gate, but immediately realized it's the flag in the middle that tells it all. The gate is angled so it's going to be skewed, but that flagpole should be straight up and down. I know it's a little thing, but if I caught it others will too.

This is a really fun image with so many stories to tell. I think it's well presented and has impact! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"