"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

People Critique'Sailor Girls of New Orleans'

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: 'Sailor Girls of New Orleans'

Post by davechinn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:42 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm
I like the low angle - and her concentration - of #3 very much. After viewing the entire series I feel I want to chat with the young ladies, especially to ask the signficance of the hats (well that might be because I'm retired Navy, lol). Fascinating pics!

Thanks Linda !!! Low angle point of view has it's advantages and I'm leaning towards them more and more. Curiosity entered within us as well, but the hats will remain a mystery.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:42 pm

I have been waiting to see this series for TWO YEARS! I was with Dave as we spotted and followed these girls down the street and into Rouse's Grocery, and I knew of course that his would be better. Love the black and white (but not grungy) treatment, and the expressions you caught. Good sequencing too. 3, 4 & 5 are my favorites.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:58 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:42 pm
I have been waiting to see this series for TWO YEARS! I was with Dave as we spotted and followed these girls down the street and into Rouse's Grocery, and I knew of course that his would be better. Love the black and white (but not grungy) treatment, and the expressions you caught. Good sequencing too. 3, 4 & 5 are my favorites.

Thanks Minnie !!! Sorry it took so long to post these. I organize my files by camera and as you know, since these were taken with Sharon's camera, they were placed in a folder I hardly ever visit. I discovered others there as well to post. I do wish we would have engaged with this group. I have been curious to why they were dressed as they were, where were they going after shopping. We'll never know, but I will often wonder.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 pm

This is a masterful series and I can only imagine the conversation going on between the photographers. So much fun! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 pm
This is a masterful series and I can only imagine the conversation going on between the photographers. So much fun! S-

Thanks Steve !!! Actually, the conversation wasn't very long. There was so much activity surrounding us, which kept our focus on, what the next subject would be. Fun time, for sure.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:01 pm

St3v3M wrote:
I remember the conversation. We spotted them on Royal St and began to follow. They made a beeline to Rouse's supermarket and we pulled up at the door, looked at each other, and one of us (I think it was me), said "Let's do it", and in we went. To complicate things, we were already engaged with a rather interesting but difficult character in a jester suit, and we had to ditch him to follow the Sailor Hats. We left our spouses with the Jester.

Another take on the girls. I tried various processing, but never was satisfied. Like Dave, I never posted them anywhere before.

(Yeah that's Dave in the second shot)
Attachments
girl (1 of 1).jpg
girl (1 of 1)-2.jpg
girl (1 of 1)-3.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:06 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:01 pm
I remember the conversation. We spotted them on Royal St and began to follow. They made a beeline to Rouse's supermarket and we pulled up at the door, looked at each other, and one of us (I think it was me), said "Let's do it", and in we went. To complicate things, we were already engaged with a rather interesting but difficult character in a jester suit, and we had to ditch him to follow the Sailor Hats. We left our spouses with the Jester.

Another take on the girls. I tried various processing, but never was satisfied. Like Dave, I never posted them anywhere before.

You two sound dangerous together and this has become an amazing series! Thank for adding to this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm

minniev wrote:
St3v3M wrote:

Your memory is much better than mine Minnie !!! I thought the character in the jester suit was after the sailor girls. Glad you posted some of your images. They show a different perspective. I especially like the last one. I can just imagine the face on the Jester while he is observing the sailor hat girl and you had to sneak #2 in as if I'm standing in line for produce. Lots of fun and I look forward to doing it again. Here is one thats been hidden and almost forgotten.
Dave
Attachments
Minnie DSC_9841w B&W.jpg

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:11 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm
minniev wrote:
St3v3M wrote:

Your memory is much better than mine Minnie !!! I thought the character in the jester suit was after the sailor girls. Glad you posted some of your images. They show a different perspective. I especially like the last one. I can just imagine the face on the Jester while he is observing the sailor hat girl and you had to sneak #2 in as if I'm standing in line for produce. Lots of fun and I look forward to doing it again. Here is one thats been hidden and almost forgotten.
Dave
Payback! Minnie the Drowned Bag Lady frontal view!

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:42 pm

No payback was intended, Minnie. My personal preference is ...... I like the photo of you two and think it fits into the street photo genre very well.
Dave

David Alan Harvey