Attachments
These feet were made for dancing.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Compelling because it's so unique and hard to understand (especially if there was no title). I like the way your mind works!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:25 pm

interesting feast of color and B/W....your inclusion of the blue blanket in the background a good choice....very well done..just personal and may or may not improve...include if there is any...more of the blanket (space wise, not make brighter) to help lower the main focus of the image in the frame, that might add a slight pleasing diagonal to the presentation....if that makes sense...

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 pm
C&C welcome
Though I enjoy your images very much, it is impossible for me to offer pertinent critique because the way you see and photograph is as foreign to me as Sanskrit. This is one that where its art seems intimately connected with the title, two parts of a whole. The juxtaposition of light/dark and color/monochrome make the image grab my eye. The melding of the blacks give me a visual puzzle to work out.

Thanks for this.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Shine, I am having a bit of trouble with this. Artistically it does have a lot to contemplate on and I really enjoy, as Minnie mentioned, trying to "figure it out".

My point of contention is in the technical aspects. Specifically the soft focus and its relation to the various parts of the image. The position of the figure places the knees closest to the viewer and central within the composition. The white of the skulls and the size of the are also make that part of the image the brightest, attracting attention first. However, the lack of sharpness becomes a jarring attack on the eyes as I am expecting it to be in focus. In short, the brightness says, "look at me!" While the lack of focus says,"don't look at me!"

My eyes then go to the blue of the socks and those, too, are rather soft (likely from the processing?) leaving me feeling like my eyes are getting worse. :-D

Aside from that technical tidbit, I really like this study. The blue in the background, opposite the socks, adds a nice balance while the darkness makes me explore further into the scene.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks very much all of those that took time to comment....minniev your comments really made me laugh as possibly the best compliment ive had for a while.
Duck.... I have looked again at the original and unfortunately it is a soft focus.
I thought I had discused it well enough with the "directional light".....I dont know if you can even see it!
so I have redone the directional light in hope that this helps a little ... but not sure if it does .....here it is
Attachments
These feet were made for dancing.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 pm
... I have redone the directional light in hope that this helps a little ... but not sure if it does .....here it is
In the first I could barely discern the blanket psjunkie mentioned and could barely tell if anything was between the two pairs of "stuff." That contributed to the mystery, but also to a bit of frustration. With the brigher #2 I have a whole different experience (of course I'm also not seeing for the first time, so it's different already in that regard). I get to enjoy a unique capture of a simple, common subject - something everyone else in the room saw literally (if it was a ful room, lol) - and be delighted by the creativity of the artist. Inspiring too!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:
...minniev your comments really made me laugh as possibly the best compliment ive had for a while.
'twas meant as a compliment :) so glad you smiled, & I do like the second version better.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:29 am

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:
Thanks very much all of those that took time to comment....minniev your comments really made me laugh as possibly the best compliment ive had for a while.
Duck.... I have looked again at the original and unfortunately it is a soft focus.
I thought I had discused it well enough with the "directional light".....I dont know if you can even see it!
so I have redone the directional light in hope that this helps a little ... but not sure if it does .....here it is
I love how this place works. Critique Equals Improvement! This one really is better! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"