"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 am

Wow... wow... and, well, wow.

The first thing that springs out to me with this image isn't the woman. It isn't the humorous interplay between the title, the sign and the subject. It's the color palette. How gorgeous are those colors. This is a classic example of a controlled palette with yellow being the global undertone of the image. It gives the whole scene a nice warm, inviting feel to balance against the rather bleak looking day.

Some may argue that the brightness of the sign and the matching hoodie off to the side is too distracting, pulling away form the main subject. I feel that actually works for this image. The bright yellow does pull the eye and I think the sign should be the first part of the image to be noticed. It establishes the interplay to follow. The arrow on the sign then directs the view to the woman on the phone and, hopefully, the viewer can infer a social commentary from that. There are a lot of subtleties at play here.

There is only one thing that detracts and that is the blonde walking away just past the subject. Nothing could have been done without losing the moment, I know, but consider some photoshop trickery to remove or reduce that distraction.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Duck wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 am
Wow... wow... and, well, wow.

The first thing that springs out to me with this image isn't the woman. It isn't the humorous interplay between the title, the sign and the subject. It's the color palette. How gorgeous are those colors. This is a classic example of a controlled palette with yellow being the global undertone of the image. It gives the whole scene a nice warm, inviting feel to balance against the rather bleak looking day.

Some may argue that the brightness of the sign and the matching hoodie off to the side is too distracting, pulling away form the main subject. I feel that actually works for this image. The bright yellow does pull the eye and I think the sign should be the first part of the image to be noticed. It establishes the interplay to follow. The arrow on the sign then directs the view to the woman on the phone and, hopefully, the viewer can infer a social commentary from that. There are a lot of subtleties at play here.

There is only one thing that detracts and that is the blonde walking away just past the subject. Nothing could have been done without losing the moment, I know, but consider some photoshop trickery to remove or reduce that distraction.
Thank you Duck. It is most satisfying when someone actually sees the elements I included by intent! I meant it to be read from lower right to upper right and leftward following the arrow on the sign to the Talker. It was one of those rare street shots that I had a little time to think about while my husband wrestled with a contrary ATM. The lady on the phone was stationary, as was the yellow sign. Other folks just kept moving through. I did take one with the distracting walk away blond further away but ended up liking this one because of the gal in the yellow coat. The yellowish color tone is induced in post. Not sure I’m skilled enough to get rid of the walk away blond tho.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Echoing Duck's "Wow... wow... and, well, wow." Everything he said. Although the very first thing that jumped out at me was her reflection! Just you having seen that...! I think this is exceptional "street." :clap: :yay: :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:12 am

I hate to say it but the first thing I noticed are her Docs, but that's how I roll!

This is a crazy cool image that works on so many levels; the color pallet, the sign, the reflections, the lady!

It's a great catch but only seen by those with the skill to take it. Amazing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:46 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:09 pm
Echoing Duck's "Wow... wow... and, well, wow." Everything he said. Although the very first thing that jumped out at me was her reflection! Just you having seen that...! I think this is exceptional "street." :clap: :yay: :thumbup:
Thank ya Chuck. I did like the reflections, both the window and the ones in the wet sidewalk.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 am

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:12 am
I hate to say it but the first thing I noticed are her Docs, but that's how I roll!

This is a crazy cool image that works on so many levels; the color pallet, the sign, the reflections, the lady!

It's a great catch but only seen by those with the skill to take it. Amazing! S-
Thanks Steve. It is always fun when we find a sign that fits into the theme of the photo.

davechinn
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:47 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 am
In Edinburgh this past fall. All opinions and suggestions welcome

Well, here is another one I missed along the way !!!

This an excellent street image where there is so much to consider that actually makes it an excellent street shot. First, the color, (and as you know I'm a black & white person) blends together perfectly while the street activity continues and forms a mystery for me. I'm wanting to make that left hand turn to follow the diversion sign to wherever it may lead. I suppose I can be nosy at times, but the curiosity does get the best of me to create my own troubles.

I think I would like to see just a little more of the street to the right and a little less of the glass to the left, but then her reflection would most likely be gone so maybe a little compromise between the two, if possible. Either way, it's a shot I would love to have taken.
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:01 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:47 pm
minniev wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 am
In Edinburgh this past fall. All opinions and suggestions welcome

Well, here is another one I missed along the way !!!

This an excellent street image where there is so much to consider that actually makes it an excellent street shot. First, the color, (and as you know I'm a black & white person) blends together perfectly while the street activity continues and forms a mystery for me. I'm wanting to make that left hand turn to follow the diversion sign to wherever it may lead. I suppose I can be nosy at times, but the curiosity does get the best of me to create my own troubles.

I think I would like to see just a little more of the street to the right and a little less of the glass to the left, but then her reflection would most likely be gone so maybe a little compromise between the two, if possible. Either way, it's a shot I would love to have taken.
Dave
Thanks Dave. As you know, there is always a reason, usually (and in this case yes), something Big, Ugly, and Distracting that causes us to crop/frame where we do. But in general, as you also know, I include too much!!