"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

People CritiqueThe Bird-Watcher

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Bird-Watcher

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:35 pm

This is of course a snapshot, caught candid when I spotted my 5 year old grandson Jack up this little tree trying out his binoculars in the birding area behind the Science Museum Sunday. I did some creative processing to liven up a rather shady area in late afternoon with the sun on the wrong side of the building. Purpose is to print an 8x10 for the frame he keeps on his bedside table with his latest adventures, so it doesn't have to be totally perfect. Suggestions and edits appreciated.
Attachments
birdwatcher (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:19 pm

One suggestion I have, now that I understand what the image will be used for, is totally a grandparent thing. Add a positive, personal little message or caption from you for him to read. It adds a personal touch that is expressly his and it let's him practice his reading. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Looks good to me minniev....all personal taste but maybe some crop in from the left and up from the bottom just to make him a touch more prominent...

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Duck wrote:One suggestion I have, now that I understand what the image will be used for, is totally a grandparent thing. Add a positive, personal little message or caption from you for him to read. It adds a personal touch that is expressly his and it let's him practice his reading. ;)

Good idea, since he is just starting to figure out some sight words.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Looks good to me minniev....all personal taste but maybe some crop in from the left and up from the bottom just to make him a touch more prominent...

Thanks, Frank, I wondered about cropping but also wanted to show how "brave" he was in climbing the "tree".

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:19 pm

minniev wrote:This is of course a snapshot, caught candid when I spotted my 5 year old grandson Jack up this little tree trying out his binoculars in the birding area behind the Science Museum Sunday. I did some creative processing to liven up a rather shady area in late afternoon with the sun on the wrong side of the building. Purpose is to print an 8x10 for the frame he keeps on his bedside table with his latest adventures, so it doesn't have to be totally perfect. Suggestions and edits appreciated.

Minnie, Great framing, wonderful leading lines, perfect cropping, I believe. How quickly we lose the casual agility and spontaneous wanderings of childhood. A wonderful gift for him; a treasure for you. This has prompted me to search in my files for a photo of our granddaughter I took some years ago that my wife called to my attention this morning when she was moving stuff around to place the poinsettia "just right." Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:This is of course a snapshot, caught candid when I spotted my 5 year old grandson Jack up this little tree trying out his binoculars in the birding area behind the Science Museum Sunday. I did some creative processing to liven up a rather shady area in late afternoon with the sun on the wrong side of the building. Purpose is to print an 8x10 for the frame he keeps on his bedside table with his latest adventures, so it doesn't have to be totally perfect. Suggestions and edits appreciated.

Minnie, Great framing, wonderful leading lines, perfect cropping, I believe. How quickly we lose the casual agility and spontaneous wanderings of childhood. A wonderful gift for him; a treasure for you. This has prompted me to search in my files for a photo of our granddaughter I took some years ago that my wife called to my attention this morning when she was moving stuff around to place the poinsettia "just right." Matt

Minnie, As promised; the granddaughter at breakfast after a struggle with the grandmother about the topknot. Grandmother won. Matt
Michaela, topknot (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:52 pm

[quote="Matt Quinn"
Minnie, Great framing, wonderful leading lines, perfect cropping, I believe. How quickly we lose the casual agility and spontaneous wanderings of childhood. A wonderful gift for him; a treasure for you. This has prompted me to search in my files for a photo of our granddaughter I took some years ago that my wife called to my attention this morning when she was moving stuff around to place the poinsettia "just right." Matt[/quote]

Thanks, I kinda liked the way he's in the crosshairs of the tree, too. I'm never good with posing them so every shot I've got is candids or crazy mugs.

I love the little girl's photo you posted, another candid. These kinds of shots are seldom perfect studio type captures (well, sometimes Frank can pull off candids that look like studio shots) but they are vibrant with life

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:56 am

Indeed Minnie. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:59 am

Jack looks wonderful up in the tree, and like all good boys has amazing footing. You know he's looking for your birds of course! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"