"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

People CritiqueIntense Moments with a Bucking Bronco

Post Reply
User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Intense Moments with a Bucking Bronco

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 pm

My intention with this thread is to reveal before and during moments with a bucking bronco.

This was my first ever attendance rodeo. These were captured from the stands in Cody, Wyoming this past August. Not knowing exactly what to expect other than bucking broncos, bull riding, barrel racing and the typical roping/lassoing cows. Although, at times I tried to capture some intense moments, but only a few are acceptable IMO.

The first one I captured a cowboy preparing for his ride with a prayer. The second one was the same cowboy in the chute just seconds of the gate opening. The third one is the ride itself. I wasn't able to capture a front angle view of this ride, but have some of others, just not a series of shots. The fourth and last is the end of his ride without being thrown off. As always, comments and feedback welcomed.
Attachments
DEC_3494w B&W.jpg
#1
Intense Moment DEC_3596w B&W.jpg
#2
DEC_3597w B&W.jpg
#3
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06 pm

The last of the ride.
Attachments
DEC_3609w B&W.jpg
#4
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Powerful story telling IMO. Very glad you were able to include the saddle in #1, Dave. That really sets up the series, I think. #2 is a strong view of power and energy ready to burst out. Terrific framing and tight composition. I don't think a front view of #3 would have improved; I find it very intense as-is.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Nice series Mr. Chinn, well presented...no real comment for improvement...1 and 2 winning out for me over the others.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:44 pm

davechinn wrote:My intention with this thread is to reveal before and during moments with a bucking bronco.

This was my first ever attendance rodeo. These were captured from the stands in Cody, Wyoming this past August. Not knowing exactly what to expect other than bucking broncos, bull riding, barrel racing and the typical roping/lassoing cows. Although, at times I tried to capture some intense moments, but only a few are acceptable IMO.

The first one I captured a cowboy preparing for his ride with a prayer. The second one was the same cowboy in the chute just seconds of the gate opening. The third one is the ride itself. I wasn't able to capture a front angle view of this ride, but have some of others, just not a series of shots. The fourth and last is the end of his ride without being thrown off. As always, comments and feedback welcomed.


Enjoyable story. I've seen rodeos and tried on a couple of occasions to capture but you've done much better than I ever did. The bronc rides are the most dramatic scenes, so you made good choices. Good framing and processing contribute to the success of these images. Yes, front angles have a certain attraction, but they aren't always necessary, there is a lot of action and emotion here without that.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:02 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Powerful story telling IMO. Very glad you were able to include the saddle in #1, Dave. That really sets up the series, I think. #2 is a strong view of power and energy ready to burst out. Terrific framing and tight composition. I don't think a front view of #3 would have improved; I find it very intense as-is.


Thank you Linda !!! I agree, the saddle sets the stage. The prayer, to me, indicates what possibly is going through his mind, especially after viewing the second image. I can't imagine being in any of their boots.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Nice series Mr. Chinn, well presented...no real comment for improvement...1 and 2 winning out for me over the others.


Thanks Frank, much appreciated !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pm

minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:My intention with this thread is to reveal before and during moments with a bucking bronco.

This was my first ever attendance rodeo. These were captured from the stands in Cody, Wyoming this past August. Not knowing exactly what to expect other than bucking broncos, bull riding, barrel racing and the typical roping/lassoing cows. Although, at times I tried to capture some intense moments, but only a few are acceptable IMO.

The first one I captured a cowboy preparing for his ride with a prayer. The second one was the same cowboy in the chute just seconds of the gate opening. The third one is the ride itself. I wasn't able to capture a front angle view of this ride, but have some of others, just not a series of shots. The fourth and last is the end of his ride without being thrown off. As always, comments and feedback welcomed.


Enjoyable story. I've seen rodeos and tried on a couple of occasions to capture but you've done much better than I ever did. The bronc rides are the most dramatic scenes, so you made good choices. Good framing and processing contribute to the success of these images. Yes, front angles have a certain attraction, but they aren't always necessary, there is a lot of action and emotion here without that.


Minnie, this was so entertaining for us. Not sure if it was because it was our first, but we enjoyed every bit of it. The atmosphere was so positive and patriotic. I so much wanted to be on ground level, but being unfamiliar left me in the stands. Bull riding was sort of a disappointment, because all of the cowboys didn't stay on but just a couple of seconds. Although, there were some that these guys could have gotten seriously hurt.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Great stuff! No criticisms from me, but a leeeetle OT-ish, we loved Cody (Daphne was a Wyoming gal). We went to Cody as often as we could. When Matt was a young scout he and a bunch of others went on a hike that started in Cody, and all of us (boys and scoutmasters) went to the rodeo and had a great time. Daphne was thrilled but incidentally has always been allergic to horses (I think she was allergic to frogs even) so she teared and sniffed all the way through. :D :cry: (Did'ja get to the Buffalo Bill Museum? If not, go back, and plan a loooong day! :thumbup: )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4065
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 am

The first is a beautiful setup shot but I really like the emotion of the second, so raw and wonderful. Well done! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest