“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

People CritiqueOn The Bench

Graham Smith
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

On The Bench

Post by Graham Smith » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Seen on Brick Lane Market, Shoreditch, London.
Looking at it in preview it feels a little cramped on the right?

_DSC6233.jpg
Graham

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Graham Smith wrote:Seen on Brick Lane Market, Shoreditch, London.

_DSC6233.jpg

I don't feel it being cramped. The subjects are visible in their entirety from the similar set of their mouths right down to the similarly crossed feet and wow, what an impactful set of subjects it is. The ends of the age continuum, back to back but seemingly oblivious to each other. Do they know each other? Where's she headed with that suitcase? We are left to derive our own story. Wonderful detail in the image, a great street shot.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

I think this is wonderful! The main character stands out front and center with the supporting actors filling in the set. It would be different if the man wasn't there, but with him this is step up perfectly and is a nice look at life. Thank you for sharing this with us! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Maaaaaaaybe... It's terrific! Everyone else has said what I would've better than I. Had you not mentioned it I probably would not have noticed. But yes, now that you mention it, it does almost feel as if she has pulled her foot back so it won't collide with the frame. Now in fact her leg is stopped by her rollaway; it can't move anyway, but I had to look twice to see that. Assuming you are not cropping away something injurious to the picture you might consider giving her toe just a tad more room. (Had you not mentioned it I almost certainly would not have noticed.) :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I enjoy coming into threads after several people have commented, particularly if it's an image I might otherwise pass by - usually due to lack of interest in the subject matter. From reading the opening note and follow-ups re "cramped on the right" I now see that the framing enhances the message: the man precariously perched on a small piece of real estate and all studiously avoiding each other and doing their own thing while in tight proximity. Fun stuff!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I enjoy coming into threads after several people have commented, particularly if it's an image I might otherwise pass by - usually due to lack of interest in the subject matter. From reading the opening note and follow-ups re "cramped on the right" I now see that the framing enhances the message: the man precariously perched on a small piece of real estate and all studiously avoiding each other and doing their own thing while in tight proximity. Fun stuff!

Ah! Hadn't thought of that! I retract my thought. Linda is correct. Leave it be, Graham: that's an order. :rofl:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm

What I like best about this image... The two could not be more different from each other yet their crossed legs mirror each other identically. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage