"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

People CritiqueSelfie a la Master Ernst

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Selfie a la Master Ernst

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 am

Bobby Deal wrote:[...] In the end though it comes down to the basic formula regardless of what the subject is. If you can effectively light a product, you can reproduce that look with a person, the only thing that changes is the scale of the lighting.

Yes, but the one thing missing from that comment is "experience". Someone who works with people all the time can pre visualize what their lights are going to do because of their past experience. I have very little experience photographing people. It wasn't until after setting up my lights and pushing it further and further back that the little light of recognition came on. ;)

When you explained the setup in your earlier post I could visualize the changes you were suggesting but I couldn't put it into context with what I knew. I didn't make the connection for some reason. If that makes sense.

Again, thanks for the tips and the encouragement.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 am

[quote="Duck"]I went back to the basic with this one. ...[quote]
I really like this one and even more that we've gone through it together. I feel like you're looking right through me. Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Really nice series of portraits Duck and great to see you messing around, comments being made and adding to your growth as a portrait photographer. Now the trick is to see that person in front of the camera, have a conversation, tease them about the chessy smile they might offer, watch what they do by themselves and be sure to capture that!

As to when someone wears glasses, I personally never ask for them to remove them, especially if they wear them all of the time. All is needed is the raise the main light alittle more and lower the chin just a tad. And then be carefully
as to the position of the lens so you don't get distortion at the edge of an eye.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Really nice series of portraits Duck and great to see you messing around...

Thank you, Ernst. The glass distortion is something I discovered after the fact, so that was a learning experience.

My wife stopped by the studio yesterday and we messed around (not that way :stop:) and her it did definitely came out. I'll post a few later.

Thank you for the encouragement.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage