"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueQuirky

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Quirky

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 pm

all comment welcomed...
Attachments
20171115FGS_3608-Quirky.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Quirky

Postby Duck » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:59 pm

I love the expression.

I love the processing.

I don't think the two go together.

The processing, as beautiful as it is, has a classic feel with a more serious undertone to it that is incongruous with the playful expression on her face. The sharpened eyes balanced against the soft focus vignette creates a stark contrast to what one should be feeling based on her expression, giving it an unnerving feel to the image. Had she had a calmer expression on her face, wow, this would have been really awesome.

Just my two bits.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 am

Thank you for comment Duck...I'm just often plain dense..do you mean just the eye processing doesn't fit the overall processing? or the overall processing doesn't fit the expression.....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 am

Psjunkie wrote:Thank you for comment Duck...I'm just often plain dense..do you mean just the eye processing doesn't fit the overall processing? or the overall processing doesn't fit the expression.....

Her expression is light, fun, a little devilish and the processing should reflect that in order to really bring the character of the portrait through to the viewer. The processing you have chosen is rooted in classical portraiture that invokes a stiffer and more formal look. For me, those are polar opposites that don't quite come together in this image. Had she been looking at the camera without sucking her lip in I feel would have suited the processing better. If you have another image of the little girl without making a face I would say give it a try and post it. See what kind of reaction you get because I really love what you did, specially with the soft focus look. That is really well done.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Thank you for clarification Duck...'s what I get for being ignorant as I had no idea it was a classical look, thanks again and I now understand your comments.....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Thank you for clarification Duck...'s what I get for being ignorant as I had no idea it was a classical look, thanks again and I now understand your comments.....

Please don't misunderstand in thinking this image is wrong. It's not. I just feel there are other ways of processing it that would do the image better justice. In the end, it comes down to what your intent is. And... It is only my opinion, and we all know about opinions being like... ;)

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Totally understood and one of the reasons I post in critique....to gather opinions..

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 am

Psjunkie wrote:all comment welcomed...

Frank, I find this image hard to look at because I can't make sense of it. It looks like two or three different photos were sewn together. For me, the puckered lips don't go with the startlingly clear eyes and the unfurrowed brow. The pucker conveys hesitation, uncertainty, while the eyes suggest surprise or wonder. And the eyes seem to be unconnected to the face; perhaps too sharpened for the softness of the rest of the face. That's the best I can do to express what I see. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 am

Matt Quinn wrote: That's the best I can do to express what I see. Matt
and I thank you for that Matt. just one captured expression with eyes a bit over done it seems...

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Psjunkie wrote:all comment welcomed...

Quirky, yes just a little, but is still an image that you could add to your collection and be proud of. Being quirky is different and different is what I like, which takes away from the normal expression that most aim for. This is a keeper Frank because of the expression. You may never capture another one like this, although I'm sure there will be other images with similar expressions. To me, she is displaying her own personality and you have presented it well.

Now a little about the processing. As you know, I love the black and white and I wouldn't even consider seeing a color version. To me, the eyes draws me in and is the first thing I my eyes went to. They are just a little over sharpened, but still acceptable. I do like the soft focus until I'm drawn to her right ear (camera left), however I do understand why it is what it is. Looking at the EXF File, I see that you shot this at f1.8 and probably had the eyes as your focal point. Which means, that most everything in front and behind the eyes would be out of focus. Probably best fstop would have been somewhere in the f8 range. Then again, if you wanted this to be soft, as it is, then you have reached your goal. So, having said that, the only issue I have is the ear is too out of focus compared with the rest of the image. Overall though, I find the image to be an excellent one, even with the issues I mentioned. I personally like it very much and I DO look forward to anymore QUIRKY images in the future.
Dave

Return to “People Critique”