People Critique'Betsy Boss'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Betsy Boss'

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Taken while in Colonial Williamsburg 2014. Trying something different with post processing. I'm on the fence with the style and will take some getting use to, for me. Thoughts and comments welcomed.
Dave
Attachments
Betsy Boss DEC_8321w.jpg
'Betsy Boss'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:24 am

I feel the cloud on her left shoulder should be treated in whatever fashion you prefer, it blends to well with her collar....the vignette is very pronounced but may be what you were after.....The toning is not overpowering, just different Mr. Chinn.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Psjunkie wrote:I feel the cloud on her left shoulder should be treated in whatever fashion you prefer, it blends to well with her collar....the vignette is very pronounced but may be what you were after.....The toning is not overpowering, just different Mr. Chinn.

Thanks Frank, you have given me some thoughts to consider. The applied vignette was an attempted suggestion from donolea. His suggestion was to mask in a vignette, which is what I have done and with it being a new procedure to me, I didn't want to overdo it. Actually, this whole process was a little different that probably won't work with all images. Thank you for your comments.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:12 am

davechinn wrote:Taken while in Colonial Williamsburg 2014. Trying something different with post processing. I'm on the fence with the style and will take some getting use to, for me. Thoughts and comments welcomed.
Dave

Dave, A soft, dreamy pose; I like it, especially since you didn't overdo the pp. The cloud over her left shoulder looks like a wing and jolts me. Very smooth light over the face but the bright spot in her right distracts me. The pearl necklace glows as does the earring; they dominate for me because of the quality of their light contrasting agains her skin. Wonderful memories of W. I have always taken photos of the animals and flowers and street scenes and architecture, especially at the college . I should have asked the people if I could take their pictures . Very nicely done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
davechinn wrote:Taken while in Colonial Williamsburg 2014. Trying something different with post processing. I'm on the fence with the style and will take some getting use to, for me. Thoughts and comments welcomed.
Dave

Dave, A soft, dreamy pose; I like it, especially since you didn't overdo the pp. The cloud over her left shoulder looks like a wing and jolts me. Very smooth light over the face but the bright spot in her right distracts me. The pearl necklace glows as does the earring; they dominate for me because of the quality of their light contrasting agains her skin. Wonderful memories of W. I have always taken photos of the animals and flowers and street scenes and architecture, especially at the college . I should have asked the people if I could take their pictures . Very nicely done. Matt

Thanks Matt, I do tend to overdo pp and there is reason for it. I like to push the limits just to see how far I can go without things looking funky.

Oh my, the cloud over her shoulder does look like a wing. I never picked up on that and will have to make some corrections because it is bothersome. The bright spot is so subtle IMO, it doesn't bother me much, but I do agree there needs to be a correction to tone it down. I appreciate you pointing out the areas in need of correction.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Dave, I would like to see what you do with this, but please don't mess with the pearls; they are gorgeous. Matt
Matt Quinn

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Dave, I would like to see what you do with this, but please don't mess with the pearls; they are gorgeous. Matt

Matt, here is my original edit of 3 years ago. I'm leaning towards to staying with this version. Haven't made a decision as of yet though. This one has some areas that need a little more work, such as some haloing around the shoulder, neck & her left side of face (camera right).
Dave
Attachments
DEC_8321 sepia2w.jpg
'Betsy Boss' (original edited version)
DEC_8321 sepia2w.jpg (426.02 KiB) Viewed 562 times

David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:36 am

davechinn wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Dave, I would like to see what you do with this, but please don't mess with the pearls; they are gorgeous. Matt

Matt, here is my original edit of 3 years ago. I'm leaning towards to staying with this version. Haven't made a decision as of yet though. This one has some areas that need a little more work, such as some haloing around the shoulder, neck & her left side of face (camera right).
Dave

Dave, This I like most of all of the edits. I agree with the haloing but also notice some haziness across the bottom that distracts my eye. Love the pearls still. Gorgeous image. Matt
Matt Quinn

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:33 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
davechinn wrote:

Dave

Dave, This I like most of all of the edits. I agree with the haloing but also notice some haziness across the bottom that distracts my eye. Love the pearls still. Gorgeous image. Matt

Thanks Matt. The haziness is a slight vignette I added.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:53 am

Dave

I love the soft processing but agree the clouds distract from the image. Another background perhaps? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"