People Critique'Ruff Ridin' Randy

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Ruff Ridin' Randy

Post by davechinn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:36 pm

While in Deadwood, S.D. my wife and I were sitting on a park bench in front of an old train station, which had been converted to a museum. It was facing a large parking lot full of motorcycles, when I saw Randy ride by. My first thought was, "I would like to get a shot of that guy", but the opportunity had been missed. A few minutes later he rode back by from the other direction. While he was parking his Harley, and not wanting to miss another opportunity. I walked out to him while he was gathering his things and asked if I could get a couple of photos of him and he of course obliged. This was taken close to mid-day under harsh sunlight. I wanted to get him in a shaded area, but he seemed to be in a hurry and not wanting to spoil my opportunity I went ahead and took my shots. Afterwards he commented, "Which Post Office is this going in"?

This was my second attempt post processing this (B&W toned) image, the first one being a disappointment, while fighting the harsh lighting I decided to take another route. As most of you know, all of my images favor the dark side most of the time. This is one that just didn't work in my favor. However, Randy was unique to my eyes and he fits on top of my list as one of the most unique characters I have photographed. The one in color is a full view with the bottom of the front tire chopped off, another disappointment, with very little post processing. I suppose I could fix the chopped off tire, but for now it will remain as is.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_8709-Recovered w.jpg
'Ruff Ridin' Randy'
DEC_8708 color w.jpg
'Ruff Ridin' Randy' (color)
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 pm

The choice of toned seems perfect for this shot Mr. Chinn, very well done...I like both images as presented....I think you could get away with more chopped tire....

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Psjunkie wrote:The choice of toned seems perfect for this shot Mr. Chinn, very well done...I like both images as presented....I think you could get away with more chopped tire....

Thanks Frank, I appreciate it.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:37 pm

I like this image for the story it tells or at least the story it lets you tell, but especially like the processing and the glint of Sun off his goggles.

This is one of those enigmatic images you are so versed at and am happy you took the time to take it and share it here. Thank you so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:07 am

WHAT an incredible portrait! Beyond well done! Randy is a Character with a Capital C! I howled when I read, "Which post office is this going in?" My gosh, Great War vintage leather flight helmet and goggles. Full leathers well aged. Engineer boots (I had a pair when I rode). His slightly amused expression smiling enigmatically out of his utterly indeterminately aged, road-and-barfight scarred face. A man who has seen much and will see more. His eyes are not looking at the camera but rather focused far away, far down the endless winding ribbon of road. Godspeed you, Randy!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 am

St3v3M wrote:I like this image for the story it tells or at least the story it lets you tell, but especially like the processing and the glint of Sun off his goggles.

This is one of those enigmatic images you are so versed at and am happy you took the time to take it and share it here. Thank you so much! S-

Thanks Steve !!! I love the character that Randy portrays, only because he appeared to be so much different from what I normally see and thats why I didn't want to lose the opportunity again. The final results of the first image was not what I wanted, but I figured at least I came away with something, so I needed to make the best of what I had. Sorta like, if I have a lemon, then its time to make lemonade, just don't forget the sugar. Thank you for the vote of confidence, much appreciated.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:36 am

Charles Haacker wrote:WHAT an incredible portrait! Beyond well done! Randy is a Character with a Capital C! I howled when I read, "Which post office is this going in?" My gosh, Great War vintage leather flight helmet and goggles. Full leathers well aged. Engineer boots (I had a pair when I rode). His slightly amused expression smiling enigmatically out of his utterly indeterminately aged, road-and-barfight scarred face. A man who has seen much and will see more. His eyes are not looking at the camera but rather focused far away, far down the endless winding ribbon of road. Godspeed you, Randy!

Thank you Chuck !!! I appreciate your thoughts and kind description of Randy and the overall processing of him. As I mentioned to Steve, the final results were nowhere near my intentions when taken. His full attire and facial features caught my immediate attention. I just wish I could have spent a few minutes with him to gather more info of his character. Live and learn. Better luck on the next adventure while I can chalk this one up as to what to do rather than NOT what to do.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:04 pm

davechinn wrote:Thanks Steve !!! I love the character that Randy portrays, only because he appeared to be so much different from what I normally see and thats why I didn't want to lose the opportunity again. The final results of the first image was not what I wanted, but I figured at least I came away with something, so I needed to make the best of what I had. Sorta like, if I have a lemon, then its time to make lemonade, just don't forget the sugar. Thank you for the vote of confidence, much appreciated.
Dave

I've made fresh lemonade, and it's not as easy as you made it look! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:50 pm

This guy gushes character out of every pore but... I'm going to be a little harsher in my critique than other have been.

First, I am a big fan of the low key, hyper-texturized processing often referred to as the Dragan style, when it's done right. For me, this portrait (the close up) seems overdone to the point of it looking flat. A face has shape and dimension and when light comes in on one side it is expected to show shadows on the opposite side, but not just any shadow. The shadow need to have a density relative to the light source. In the image presented we clearly see a very bright and very hard light source hitting the subject from the left, lighting his shoulder, cheek and side of his nose. Then the face goes to a slightly darker than mid tone gray all the way across to the right side without deepening into the expected shadows. The only shadows seen are in the upper part of the eye sockets and in the wrinkles. The shadow intensity in the crevices on the dark side of his face are the same as on the light side, giving a flattening effect. There is no planar distinction as the light transitions across his forehead and cheekbones to the temple area. It's not until we get to his ear that we see a tonal change, and there it's only slight.

I know the lighting wasn't optimal but I feel this portrait can be enhance with some judicious addition of some well placed shadows. A little dodge and burn can help recover the lost dimensionality of his face, giving him a little more shape.

This is just my two bits and, as always, it's ultimately up to you and your vision.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Duck wrote:This guy gushes character out of every pore but... I'm going to be a little harsher in my critique than other have been.

First, I am a big fan of the low key, hyper-texturized processing often referred to as the Dragan style, when it's done right. For me, this portrait (the close up) seems overdone to the point of it looking flat. A face has shape and dimension and when light comes in on one side it is expected to show shadows on the opposite side, but not just any shadow. The shadow need to have a density relative to the light source. In the image presented we clearly see a very bright and very hard light source hitting the subject from the left, lighting his shoulder, cheek and side of his nose. Then the face goes to a slightly darker than mid tone gray all the way across to the right side without deepening into the expected shadows. The only shadows seen are in the upper part of the eye sockets and in the wrinkles. The shadow intensity in the crevices on the dark side of his face are the same as on the light side, giving a flattening effect. There is no planar distinction as the light transitions across his forehead and cheekbones to the temple area. It's not until we get to his ear that we see a tonal change, and there it's only slight.

I know the lighting wasn't optimal but I feel this portrait can be enhance with some judicious addition of some well placed shadows. A little dodge and burn can help recover the lost dimensionality of his face, giving him a little more shape.

This is just my two bits and, as always, it's ultimately up to you and your vision.

Thank you Duck !!! A little harsher critique is always welcomed. It gives me a different perspective on where some see things differently. I'm familiar with the Dragan Effect and several years ago processed some to that style. While my images may appear to have similar effects they are not processed in his (Andrzej Dragan) particular style.

As I mention in the opening I prefer the dark side of my images. This one, because of the harsh lighting didn't work to my advantage, because the first one I processed was on the darker side and I was very disappointed, which is why I processed this one in the way it is presented here. There were no heavy processing done with this one, such as dodging and burning. The adjustments made were contrast, highlight & shadow adjustments in camera raw, sharpening and the tone with a slight positive vignette and of course cropping. In the original his face was evenly lit except for the shadows from the hat he was wearing. Since this was taken close to mid-day or a little there after, I was pretty much doomed and I knew that from the start. My main goal was to at least get the shot, because his character and physical appearance was so much different from all past bikers I have taken.
I'm posting the original to show that the light was pretty much even across the face. Again, I appreciate the critique.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_8709 color original w.jpg
Original

David Alan Harvey